1944Re: [civilwarwest] Forrest, Hood at Spring Hill

  • ecm777@aol.com
    Oct 5, 2000
      Jim, I too had heard that about Hood and Forrest. However, the only incident
      I can find regarding something like this is with Bragg at Chickamauga.

      From Robert S. Henry's "First With the Most"......
      "As Forrest entered Bragg rose and offered his hand. Forrest refused the
      hand and, standing stiff and erect before the general, with the index finger
      of his left hand punctuating his every point with a quick, stabbing motion,
      unbosomed himself of the bitterness with which he had suffered under Bragg:
      '...You robbed me of my command in Kentucky...men whom I armed and equipped
      from the enemies of our country...You drove me into West Tennessee in the
      winter of 1862, with a second brigade I had organized, with improper arms and
      without sufficient ammunition...in spite of all this I returned well equipped
      by captures...and now this second brigade, organized and equipped without
      thanks to you or the government...you have taken from me. I have stood your
      meanness as long as I intend to. You have played the part of a damned
      scoundrel, and if you were any part a man I would slap your jaw and force you
      to resent it. You may as well not issue any orders to me, for I will not
      obey them, and I will hold you personally responsible for any further
      indignities you endeavor to inflict upon me...if you ever again try to
      interfere with me or cross my path it will be at the peril of your life.'
      Forrest, when he had said his say, stopped as suddenly as he had begun,
      turned and stalked out the tent...still with never a word from the commanding
      general."

      Hope that helps,

      Respectfully,
      Colleen