18591Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Jefferson Davis and Joe Johnston

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Jul 1, 2003
      In a message dated 6/30/2003 11:29:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:

      Can't find my source on this, Dave, but doubts about Pemberton
      apparently started after Beauregard took over Charleston SC defenses;
      Pemberton was in charge of them prior to B. and he, B., was pretty
      critical of what P. had done to that point.

      Carl,
      Correct me if I am wrong, but Beauy was in charge of the Charleston defenses in 1861 then sent to join ASJ.  In March 1862 and April, Beauy was quite ill as a result of intestinal problems or symptoms similiar.  He made the trip from Corinth to Shiloh in an ambulance and when ASJ was killed, the command was turned over to him as senior officer.  After retreating back to Corinth, Beauy just took off trying to get some relief from his illness, however without the blessings of Davis.  There was quite a correspondence battle between the two and Davis then turned the AOT over to Bragg.  I do not know what was worse, the feelings between Davis and Beauregard or the feelings between Davis and Johnston.

      When Beauy took command of the Charleston defenses again from Pemberton, he took issue that Pemberton changed or modified some of the work that Beauy had started in 1861.  Of course, Pemberton was one of the "in's" with Davis and Beauy was one of the "outs".  With that being the case, no matter what Beauy said, as far as the administration was concerned, he was in the wrong.

      Alot of this, I am taking from memory from discussions I had with Rick Hatcher a couple of years ago on this topic.  Rick is at the present time, NPS Historian for Moultrie and Sumter.  As a good friend of all of us use to say, "and I could be wrong."

      JEJ
    • Show all 41 messages in this topic