18589Re: Jefferson Davis and Joe Johnston

  • carlw4514
    Jun 30, 2003
      Can't find my source on this, Dave, but doubts about Pemberton
      apparently started after Beauregard took over Charleston SC defenses;
      Pemberton was in charge of them prior to B. and he, B., was pretty
      critical of what P. had done to that point. I'm sure this criticism
      circulated in the CSA and got to Davis.
      -I hate it when I can't find a source. I'm thinking it was not
      circulated in anything official like the OR's, though.
      Carl

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
      wrote:
      > I've long suspected that one of the primary reasons Davis ordered
      > Johnston to Mississippi May 9, 1863 was an understanding on Davis's
      > part that Pemberton had no military experience in the field at any
      > level. Johnston was still viewed as probably the second most
      capable
      > field general the Confederacy had.
      >
      > Does anyone know of any primary sources (or secondary, for that
      > matter) that support this?
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > Dave Smith
      > Villa Hills, KY