18453Re: [MO salt-works]

  • hank9174
    Jun 9, 2003
      The Boone salt works was all early-early-19th century...1820 maybe.
      The product was used locally. I can't hink of too many ways to
      preserve meat without salting it or smoking it. Both processes
      require a fair amount of fuel.

      The Boones had quite an influence here. Daniel died in Missouri. The
      local area is known as the Boonslick due to the salt works. I live in
      Boone County and the next town to the west is Boonville.

      Speaking of food, is your kitchen back together?

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hank, watched a real interesting thing on TV once about how local
      > iron-making traditions in Africa died out because of the inability
      > keep up with the charcoal demand [what they had to use], the trees
      > would just get all cut down, too. This was a "local peoples" thing,
      > they would be able to make some simple tools from iron ore. The
      > film-makers talked some of the old guys into showing how they did
      it,
      > and they produced some iron. Durned interesting, how the charcoal
      got
      > hot enough [isn't supposed to get hot enough] was a mystery till
      > these old-timers showed them the technique.
      > -Do you know where the salt was headed, Hank? Fetched a good price
      in
      > the Confederacy but I wonder about what they could get otherwise.
      > Carl
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Hultquist"
      > <jahultqu@a...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > Jack, your excerpts are always interesting.
      > >
      > > Another item that impresses me is that in 186x, virtually all
      > cooking
      > > and heating was done with wood. For armies on the march the wood
      was

      > > necessarily green and smoke terribly.
      > >
      > > In the early days of steamboating, woodcutting parties were put
      > > ashore every night to replenish fuel. Every night, they'd cut the
      > > next days supply of fuel. As wood along the riverbanks became
      > thinner
      > > the costs of steamboating rose.
      > >
      > > Another anecdote is of the Boonslick salt works in central
      Missouri.
      > > The sons of Daniel boiled the flow from a saltwater spring to
      > produce
      > > salt. The hard work was supplying the wood for the fire. They
      > > eventually went out of business from the fact that virtually
      every
      > > tree in the county had been cut and burned for the salt works and
      it
      > > was costing more for the gathering of the fuel than they could
      gain
      > > for a bushel of salt. The spring, remanants of the works and
      > > cauldrons are now a park.
      > >

      > > HankC
      > >
      > > > From Harrison B. Talbert's
      > > > 1862 letters,
      > > > Third Indiana Battery
      > > >
      > > > Otterville, Missouri, January 23, 1862
      > > > We also have to haul our wood about a mile and do our own
      cooking
      > > etc. I will tell you what we draw from the commissary daily,
      beef
      > > or bacon, hominy, beans, rice, soap, and 1 candle to a squad,
      > > vinegar, [and] salt. We have the priviliege of drawing flour or
      > > crackers [hardtack] which [ever] we please. We draw enough of
      this
      > > to make plenty for us to eat and as long as we get plenty of this
      > > I'll not grumble. I for got, we get plenty of sugar and coffee.
      Our
      > > squad has divided off into 3 messes, me George and 3 others is in
      > our
      > > mess. Our cooking utensils, dishes, etc. consists of 2 camp
      > kettles,
      > > 1 frying pan, 1 tin bucket, 2 big sheet iron dishes, a tin plate
      > > peice, and some sort of a smashed up tin cup a peice. Some have
      > > spoons, and some having no k[n]ives or forks. I have a fork,
      knife,
      > > and spoon altogether which I paid 1.50 for.
      > > >
      > > > Jefferson City, Mo. May 2 ond / 62
      > > > You needent to bother about sending us any eatibles of any kind
      > for
      > > it might cause us to founder ourselves [disabled by excessive
      > eating]
      > > as we are not use to any such nick nacks. And since we have been
      > > here at Jeff City we have had plenty of bakers bread. We draw
      the
      > > flour and get the baker to bake it on the shears.
      > > >
      > > > Jefferson City, Cole County, Mo. May 4th / 62
      > > > You may ask the question why I dident go to church or to see
      > George
      > > [in the hospital]. The reason I dident is this, I have undertook
      > > cook for the squad (about 20 men) and cooking and doing my duty
      > keeps
      > > me busy nearly all the time. I dont get but little time to write
      in
      > > the day time I have to write of knights.
      > > >
      > > > Jefferson City Cole County Mo, May the 24th 1862
      > > >
      > > > I am going to express about twenty dollars home. You may look
      for
      > > it at the express office at Shelbyville about the last of next
      week
      > > (the first of June). The reason I dont send more is this, the
      boys
      > > hasent all paid me for cooking. [.....]. The reason I have
      delayed
      > > writing so long is this, since I have been cooking I have been
      kept
      > > so busy that I wrote just as few letters as I could handily make
      do,
      > > just answering all that I received.
      > > >

      > > > Was cooking part of Harrison's official duties and or something
      he
      > > did for additional cash?
      > > > The way he wrote on May 4 and May 24, 1862 it sounds as if
      cooking
      > > was something in addition to his normal battery duties:
      > > > May 4 - "cooking and doing my duty keeps me busy nearly all the
      > > time".
      > > > May 24 - "the boys hasent all paid me for cooking"
      > > >
      > > > This June 26 letter reads as if the cook was also responsible
      for
      > > putting up the shade over the tables.
      > > > Jefferson City, Mo June the 26th /62
      > > > And the wind blew nearly all our tents down, and all the shades
      > > that was over our tables and horses except the one that I put up,
      it
      > > stood the storm.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic