18450Re: [MO salt-works]

  • carlw4514
    Jun 9, 2003
      Hank, watched a real interesting thing on TV once about how local
      iron-making traditions in Africa died out because of the inability to
      keep up with the charcoal demand [what they had to use], the trees
      would just get all cut down, too. This was a "local peoples" thing,
      they would be able to make some simple tools from iron ore. The
      film-makers talked some of the old guys into showing how they did it,
      and they produced some iron. Durned interesting, how the charcoal got
      hot enough [isn't supposed to get hot enough] was a mystery till
      these old-timers showed them the technique.
      -Do you know where the salt was headed, Hank? Fetched a good price in
      the Confederacy but I wonder about what they could get otherwise.
      Carl

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Hultquist"
      <jahultqu@a...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > Jack, your excerpts are always interesting.
      >
      > Another item that impresses me is that in 186x, virtually all
      cooking
      > and heating was done with wood. For armies on the march the wood was

      > necessarily green and smoke terribly.
      >
      > In the early days of steamboating, woodcutting parties were put
      > ashore every night to replenish fuel. Every night, they'd cut the
      > next days supply of fuel. As wood along the riverbanks became
      thinner
      > the costs of steamboating rose.
      >
      > Another anecdote is of the Boonslick salt works in central Missouri.
      > The sons of Daniel boiled the flow from a saltwater spring to
      produce
      > salt. The hard work was supplying the wood for the fire. They
      > eventually went out of business from the fact that virtually every
      > tree in the county had been cut and burned for the salt works and it
      > was costing more for the gathering of the fuel than they could gain
      > for a bushel of salt. The spring, remanants of the works and
      > cauldrons are now a park.
      >

      > HankC
      >
      > > From Harrison B. Talbert's
      > > 1862 letters,
      > > Third Indiana Battery
      > >
      > > Otterville, Missouri, January 23, 1862
      > > We also have to haul our wood about a mile and do our own cooking
      > etc. I will tell you what we draw from the commissary daily, beef
      > or bacon, hominy, beans, rice, soap, and 1 candle to a squad,
      > vinegar, [and] salt. We have the priviliege of drawing flour or
      > crackers [hardtack] which [ever] we please. We draw enough of this
      > to make plenty for us to eat and as long as we get plenty of this
      > I'll not grumble. I for got, we get plenty of sugar and coffee. Our
      > squad has divided off into 3 messes, me George and 3 others is in
      our
      > mess. Our cooking utensils, dishes, etc. consists of 2 camp
      kettles,
      > 1 frying pan, 1 tin bucket, 2 big sheet iron dishes, a tin plate a
      > peice, and some sort of a smashed up tin cup a peice. Some have
      > spoons, and some having no k[n]ives or forks. I have a fork, knife,
      > and spoon altogether which I paid 1.50 for.
      > >
      > > Jefferson City, Mo. May 2 ond / 62
      > > You needent to bother about sending us any eatibles of any kind
      for
      > it might cause us to founder ourselves [disabled by excessive
      eating]
      > as we are not use to any such nick nacks. And since we have been
      > here at Jeff City we have had plenty of bakers bread. We draw the
      > flour and get the baker to bake it on the shears.
      > >
      > > Jefferson City, Cole County, Mo. May 4th / 62
      > > You may ask the question why I dident go to church or to see
      George
      > [in the hospital]. The reason I dident is this, I have undertook to
      > cook for the squad (about 20 men) and cooking and doing my duty
      keeps
      > me busy nearly all the time. I dont get but little time to write in
      > the day time I have to write of knights.
      > >
      > > Jefferson City Cole County Mo, May the 24th 1862
      > >
      > > I am going to express about twenty dollars home. You may look for
      > it at the express office at Shelbyville about the last of next week
      > (the first of June). The reason I dont send more is this, the boys
      > hasent all paid me for cooking. [.....]. The reason I have delayed
      > writing so long is this, since I have been cooking I have been kept
      > so busy that I wrote just as few letters as I could handily make do,
      > just answering all that I received.
      > >

      > > Was cooking part of Harrison's official duties and or something he
      > did for additional cash?
      > > The way he wrote on May 4 and May 24, 1862 it sounds as if cooking
      > was something in addition to his normal battery duties:
      > > May 4 - "cooking and doing my duty keeps me busy nearly all the
      > time".
      > > May 24 - "the boys hasent all paid me for cooking"
      > >
      > > This June 26 letter reads as if the cook was also responsible for
      > putting up the shade over the tables.
      > > Jefferson City, Mo June the 26th /62
      > > And the wind blew nearly all our tents down, and all the shades
      > that was over our tables and horses except the one that I put up, it
      > stood the storm.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic