18389Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Dining facilities

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Jun 3, 2003
      In a message dated 6/3/03 7:09:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, james2044@... writes:

      By this time, companies had kitchens that cooked meals.  I don't
      know how much the weights had changed in 30+ years but I think about
      this when I read about drawing rations for 3 days.

      James2044

      James....3 days ration were drawn for use on the march.  Typically it was nothing more than hardtack (10 crackers per day), Salt pork (3/4 lb per day) and maybe coffee (in the bean).  Some men cooked the rations all at once to reduce the weight on the march and to have ready cooked food... some men cooked all their rations at once and ate it in one sitting to reduce the weight on the march and not to waste it if killed or wounded.
         The is a whole list of what the Army was supposed to issue the men daily but the marching ration was never that much.

      Kent Dorr
      re
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic