17095Re: Surprise, surprise

  • slippymississippi
    Mar 6, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      > <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Try looking at it this way: some CSA regiments suffered almost a
      > > 90% casualty rate in killed and wounded, suggesting high unit
      > > cohesion.
      >
      > That should read 70%.

      The particular unit I'm thinking of was the 6th Mississippi Infantry
      Regiment under Cleburne. The unit charged Sherman's lines several
      times, suffering 70% killed and wounded before retiring in disorder.
      Half of the remaining men would reform and fight for the remainder of
      the first day.

      This was the first time this unit had seen the elephant, yet these
      numbers suggest a veteran level unit cohesion. Does anyone have
      numbers on how other Confederate units and federal units fared?
    • Show all 72 messages in this topic