14884Re: Longstreet & Bragg at Chickamauga [was Bragg's order to Stewart...]

  • Dave Smith
    Dec 4, 2002

      At least insofar as the setup of the second day of Chickamauga goes,
      I don't think there were elements of professional jealousy present,
      vis-a-vis Bragg and Longstreet. They simply would not have known
      each other well enough to have any such feelings.

      In terms of Bragg, I simply think that we're dealing with someone who
      had a fundamental problem with attention to detail. How else can one
      even fathom how - in spite of the fact that there was a battle the
      day before - no one was sent by Bragg to Catoosa Station to shepherd
      Bragg back to the front?

      How could Bragg assign half of the army to a general not even on the
      field, supposed to lead a daylight attack?

      I wonder, at times, which was the more prevalent flaw of Bragg's in
      terms of his military capability - inattention to details, or
      inability to adapt to changing conditions? Perhaps each ought to be
      weighed equally, all things considered.

      If I were Bragg, I think I'd have had at least one trusted staff
      officer on each end of the battlefield; on the northern end, to
      ensure that the attack came off as planned, and on Longstreet's end,
      to provide assistance and help with the new guy. To the best of my
      knowledge, neither was done.

      > Do we really have to do higher math to figure this one out? It
      > of professional jealousy, Bragg being concerned that Longstreet was
      > going to come in and steal the glory. Which, ironically, with no
      > from Bragg, is exactly what he does. Bragg's behavior here, and
      > the breakthrough, is exactly what it would be if you were writing a
      > script for a guy acting jealous at success and determined to ignore
      > and grabb some of the glory for himself, the war effort be damned.
      > -My question is, was Longstreet that good, or was it the AoNV that
      > "that good"?
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
      > [...]
      > > I'm always amazed in reading accounts of Chickamauga how little
      > > involvement Bragg's staff had with that wing of the army. You'd
      > > thought, that with a new commander, just arrived on the field,
      > > totally unfamiliar with the ground from the previous day's
      > > that he'd have had all sorts of "help" there.
      > >
      > > Dave

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic