14555Ltr #57 Harbor Copperhead, by H. B. Talbert

  • Jack Hultquist
    Nov 1, 2002

      [Great Uncle Jesse Talbert, Sr. seemed to be close to or lived close to Harrison's brother Abel.]

      Union City Tenn   Jan. 18th 1864

           Dear & Esteemed Uncle

           [Great Uncle Jesse Talbert, Sr.]

                This dreary and stormy day I seat myself to write thee a few lines; I do not know that I can write anything of interest but I cannot feel satisfied without writing a little, my conscience dictates in that way, and while it is too bad to do anything out of doors I will try.  Yesterday it rained all day and was raining last night when I went to bed.  But this morning it was snowing and it made it awful! awful! indeed to get about.  This morning I got up out of bed and peeped out of doors and it made me shudder to behold what a condition our horses was in.  The snow was some six inches deep, and the mud was equally as deep.  And a goodly number of horses was up to their bellies in mud, water and snow.  Our horses are starving here.  We draw oats but it is fed to them in the mud where they get but little.  And the roads are so bad that we forage but little off of the country.  We do not expect to stay here long, the troops are going north to Columbus Kentucky daily, and I think we will go in a few days.  And from there I think we will go down the Mississippi River but I have no idea where our final destination will be.  It will be bad marching now but still I would rather be on the march than laying in camp in our present situation.  This place is situated on rather swampy grounds and is naturally muddy, and it is hard work to keep our only place of repose [rest] from overflowing.  We have no kind of quarters and take it alltogether it’s pretty rough soldiering.

            The country of Tennessee so far as I have seen is far better than Mo.  While out on this last scout we passed over some splendid country and through two or three very neat little villages.  The soil is fertile and one thing that pleases me so well is because it is so well timbered.

           Uncle some forty of our boys have reenlisted in the veteran corps, but I have not nor I dont intend [to] reenlist until my present term of enlistment is out.  And such weather as this discourages me from ever enlisting again. I see no signs at present of this miserable war ending soon.  And when I get my discharge I propose to try citizenship awhile, unless there is a great demand for soldiers, and go to school.  Since I have been in the army I have seen the use of a good education, and I am determined if not providentially hindered to go to school some day or other.  Uncle I still retain the same hatred for copperheads [Southern sympathizers] that I always have but I dont know that I can say anything at present that would be of interest, but I want thee to know that is against my principles to harbour such a man as Rosendall [the hired man].  And if Father keeps him and treats him as he has done until I get home I will say and do more to get him removed than I ever have done.  In such times as these no man of his principles could stay under a roof of mine.  Remember me to Abel and his family and tell them that me and Franklin are both well and hearty and hope these few lines may find you all the same. I am truly and affectionately thy dutiful nephew

                                                                                         H. Talbert

      [Available to the first 100 e-mail respondents who include their mailing address.  FREE CD that includes a quality scanned copy of each letter in Harrison B. Talbert's collection plus enlightening historical data and CW memorabilia graphics.  If you use Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator and enjoyed any portion of these letters, you will enjoy the CD.  Send request and mailing address to jahultqu@...  ]

      Some Nice Comments:

      The contents of the disk are great.  I am about half way through everything.  It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into this information.  I love the vernacular and the colorful spellings.

      Thank you so much for the CD.  I have a friend that would be interested in a copy.  He didn't miss one of your postings.

      The material is fascinating and informative.  I certainly want to compliment you on the presentation too.  You've done a great job with it.

      I'm writing to thank you 'in extremis' for the gift.  I've been simply bowled over by the material and its become the highlight of my Civil War cd collection.  I've been following the letters and some of the comments of other members.

      I really like the way you have laid things out, and the delicate touch your editing approach provides.  I have read many published and unpublished diary and letter transcriptions, but your inclusion of photos of the original letters is a great addition. (message # 14299)]