1449Hood and Franklin

  • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
    Aug 31, 2000
      Wow. When it rains it pours! Seems like we went for weeks without a
      peep on this board, then all Hades broke loose.

      As to the subject of Hood at Franklin, what would you have done? What
      were Hood's options at that point? I don't mean his tactical options, I
      mean his strategic ones. He had to be thinking that taking Nashville
      was his main goal, and that it was doable. The first step, though, had
      to be the destruction of Schofield. Desparate times call for desparate
      measures, and I think Hood realized full well what the cost would be of
      that assault. Remember, this is the same man who left his division
      "dead on the field" at Antietam. I tend to be a lot less harsh on Hood
      than most others, perhaps because I feel that (on balance) his services
      to the Confederacy were positive. Funny how everyone will call Hood a
      butcher for Franklin, but no one would dare utter a sound about Lee's
      Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble debacle on 3rd day at G'burg. The difference
      between these 2 assaults is that Hood's was somewhat more successful
      than Lee's (in a tactical sense). I also have yet to be convinced that
      J. Johnston was any better at army command than was Hood, or that either
      was better than Bragg. I'm hoping for a response to any of these
      thoughts, as I am not so set in my ways that I can't be convinced I'm
      wrong. Let the flames begin!
      Andy
    • Show all 141 messages in this topic