13708Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Nathaniel Banks [east vs west]

  • David Kowalski
    Sep 1 12:46 PM
      Suddenly the key point from the Jackson Valley
      campaign as it transfers to the Red River snaps into
      focus: Taylor was a brigadier general at Winchester.
      He charged Banks' line, got good resistance but
      suddenly Banks' forces melted. I suspose Taylor's
      notion was that if pressure were applied to Banks, his
      army would eventually fold.

      True or not, I suspect that Taylor's taste of glory as
      a Brigadier played a part in the mental game played
      out in the Red River campaign.

      --- carlw4514 <carlw4514@...> wrote:
      > Will, you always do your homework and make good
      > points. Certainly I
      > didn't know that the Red River Campaign was over
      > Banks' objections.
      > Lincoln needed Banks, it seems, as you point out he
      > wasn't the worst
      > general he ever had, although I clearly believe he
      > was more "in the
      > running" for that spot than you do. And I guess he
      > was very much
      > needed for raising troops [and for political reasons
      > in general];
      > seems like it was too bad such high profile
      > assignments needed to be
      > given him, though.

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic