13707Re: Nathaniel Banks [east vs west]

  • carlw4514
    Sep 1 8:54 AM
      Will, you always do your homework and make good points. Certainly I
      didn't know that the Red River Campaign was over Banks' objections.
      Lincoln needed Banks, it seems, as you point out he wasn't the worst
      general he ever had, although I clearly believe he was more "in the
      running" for that spot than you do. And I guess he was very much
      needed for raising troops [and for political reasons in general];
      seems like it was too bad such high profile assignments needed to be
      given him, though.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic