120[civilwarwest] Re: 5th Wisconsin Battery

  • Terry Arliskas
    Oct 11, 1999

      Steve -

      I can give you this brief information about the 5th Wis. Light -

      Organized at Racine, Wis., Oct. 1, 1861 to serve 3 years - disbanded June 6, 1865.

      Commanders:  Captains Oscar F. Pinney, Charles B. Humphrey, George Q. Gardner, and Joseph McKnight.

      Original Strength of Battery - 155
      Gained by Recruits - 70
      Total Strength - 225

      Killed and Died of Wounds - 5
      Died of Disease - 19
      Total Deaths - 24

      Engagements Participated In:

      1862
      Farmington, Miss. - May 9 - 12
      Chaplin Hills, Tenn - Oct. 7 - 8
      Nolensville, Tenn. - Dec. 26

      1863
      Stones River, Tenn. - Dec. 31 - Jan 3
      Chickamauga (near) Ga. - Sept. 22 - 23

      1864
      Rock Face Ridge, Ga. May 8 - 12
      Resaca, Ga. - May 14 - 15
      Rome, Ga - May 17 - 18
      Dallas, Ga - May 27 - June 5
      Kenesaw Mountain, Ga. - June 15 - July 2
      Nickajack Creek, Ga. - July 3 - 4
      Chattahoochie River, Ga. - July 6 - 10
      Peach Tree Creek, Ga. - July 17 - 20
      Atlanta, Siege of - July 22 - Aug. 26
      Jonesboro, Ga - Sept. 1
      Savannah, Seige of - Dec. 13 - 31

      1865
      Bentonville, NC - March 18 - 21

      The best source of primary information would be at the Wisconsin State Historical Society, Madison, Wis. - check out their Arcat catalog at www.shsw.wisc.edu/archives/arcat.html - they have an extensive collection of primary material and are very helpful to researchers.  I'd be happy to make you a copy of the Battery's roster from the "Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers" if you so desire.  Also, for a brief history of the unit, I would recommend "Wisconsin in the war of Rebellion:  a History of All Regiments and Batteries" by William Love, and E.B. Quiner's "Military History of Wisconsin".  Both do a nice job, and I can make you copies of the chapters dealing with the 5th Battery if you'd like.  Hope this helps.

      Terry Arliskas

        From: "Steve Charles" <gunner@...>
      To: <civilwarwest@egroups.com>
      Subject: [civilwarwest] 5th Wisconsin Battery
      Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 21:08:47 -0400

      Hi,
      I'm a new member seeking any info available on the 5th Wisconsin Battery or any of it's members
      Thank you
      Steve Charles

      Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
      http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest