11565Re: / paroling and exchanging (was: THE BATTLE OF VICKSBURG

  • hartshje
    Jun 3, 2002
      Just a sarcastic thought to add here: Since the Southerners claimed
      that each of them was worth TWO Yankees in battle, did the
      Confederacy insist on only getting one parolee exchanged for every
      two Yankees exchanged? :) I rather doubt that!

      Joe H.

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., Jfepperson@a... wrote:
      > Suppose I have a 100,000 man army, and you have a 60,000 man army.
      > We fight a battle, and in this battle we both take 1,000 men
      > prisoners, with 6,000 K&W.
      > If we exchange prisoners, after the battle I have 94,000
      > men and you have 54,000 men. If we don't exchange, I
      > have 93,000 and you have 53,000. 93/53 is (very slightly)
      > higher than 94/54, thus the superior force is better off
      > not exchanging.
      > Actually, there is some higher math involved, because
      > one can show that, when making equal deductions from
      > two forces, the smaller force is reduced by the greater
      > fraction. This means an equal exchange policy is always
      > a disadvantage (numerically) to the stronger force.
      > JFE
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic