11542Re: [civilwarwest] Re: / paroling and exchanging (was: THE BATTLE OF VICKSBURG

  • Jfepperson@aol.com
    Jun 3, 2002
      In a message dated Mon, 3 Jun 2002 2:43:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:

      > I stand corrected, then. Any insight into Grant's
      > argument that the process favored the CSA?

      Two reasons:

      (1) The argument over valid/invalid paroles had led the
      CSA to release the Vicksburg garrison from their paroles
      long before the Federals thought they should have. Grant
      captured some men at Chattanooga who he had captured
      at Vicksburg and I imagine he was unhappy about it.

      (2) Simple arithmetic. If you have the numerical edge,
      it is to your disadvantage to let the other side "re-cycle"
      their men.

      > BTW I would say it's "on topic," since the terms of
      > the Vicksburg surrender might have triggered the
      > changes.

      But the focus of the controversy was in the east, in
      1864. And you and I don't set the rules <g>.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic