11541Re: [civilwarwest] Re: / paroling and exchanging (was: THE BATTLE OF VICKSBURG

  • Carl Williams
    Jun 3, 2002
      I stand corrected, then. Any insight into Grant's
      argument that the process favored the CSA?
      BTW I would say it's "on topic," since the terms of
      the Vicksburg surrender might have triggered the
      changes.
      Carl

      --- Jfepperson@... wrote:
      > In a message dated Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:37:55 PM
      > Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:
      >

      > > -The decision to stop exchanging prisoners IMO was
      > one
      > > of the most regrettable decisions Grant ever made.
      >
      > He didn't make it. The cartel was suspended per
      > orders
      > from Stanton in July, 1863. Grant's role was to
      > maintain
      > that suspension for most of 1864, and we know he did
      > so
      > out of a belief that exchange favored the South. At
      > the
      > time of Grant's taking the top command, the dispute
      > between
      > the two sides involved on the order of 17,000 men.
      > That
      > is, the South thought the North owed them 7,000 men,
      > and
      > the North thought the South owed them 10,000 men, or
      > something like that. This part of the dispute
      > centered
      > on problems with accounting of paroled men.
      >
      > Then there was the issue of black troops and the
      > Davis
      > government's stated policy to treat them as
      > something other
      > than POW's.
      >
      > I hope to have an article on this subject published
      > in the
      > near future. For now, since I am unsure whether it
      > is
      > on topic for our discussion, I will point you to a
      > web
      > page (http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/pow.html);
      > that
      > is the correct URL but AOHell appears to have
      > temporarily
      > lost the page. I'll reload it tonight.
      > JFE

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com