11538Re: [civilwarwest] Re: / paroling and exchanging (was: THE BATTLE OF VICKSBURG

  • Jfepperson@aol.com
    Jun 3, 2002
      In a message dated Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:37:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:

      > -The decision to stop exchanging prisoners IMO was one
      > of the most regrettable decisions Grant ever made.

      He didn't make it. The cartel was suspended per orders
      from Stanton in July, 1863. Grant's role was to maintain
      that suspension for most of 1864, and we know he did so
      out of a belief that exchange favored the South. At the
      time of Grant's taking the top command, the dispute between
      the two sides involved on the order of 17,000 men. That
      is, the South thought the North owed them 7,000 men, and
      the North thought the South owed them 10,000 men, or
      something like that. This part of the dispute centered
      on problems with accounting of paroled men.

      Then there was the issue of black troops and the Davis
      government's stated policy to treat them as something other
      than POW's.

      I hope to have an article on this subject published in the
      near future. For now, since I am unsure whether it is
      on topic for our discussion, I will point you to a web
      page (http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/pow.html); that
      is the correct URL but AOHell appears to have temporarily
      lost the page. I'll reload it tonight.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic