11520Re: Anyone read the new Civil War medicine book?

  • WmHiram
    Jun 2, 2002
      > I have read somewhere (don't ask me where, can't remember) that
      despite all > the stories of Southern inefficiency with medicine, 1)
      wound for wound, the > Confederate hospitals were better equipped
      because they were stuffed to the > gills with COTTON (which, having
      helped to start the war, finally made > itself useful for a change)
      to use as gauze, and 2) Southern doctors and > orderlies were
      generally better about sterilizing this gauze by heating it
      > in ovens before application (although it is said that they weren't
      aware of > what they were doing).

      > Dan

      It's a nice theory, but heating cotton in an oven won't sterilize it
      any more than washing it in warm water will. I'm surprised that
      nobody has trotted out the old horse tail chestnut as well! :) Even
      if any type of dressing or instrument were "sterilized" by
      boiling/baking/washing, it still would be picked up by nonsterile
      hands, placed back in a nonsterile field, and stored in a nonsterile
      manner.

      Another point that Dr. Bollet made is that even today we have killer
      germs which no antibiotics or antisepsis can fight. The "flesh-
      eating bacterium" (a virulent Strep-B which causes necrotizing
      fasciitis) is a prime example.

      Huzzah, let's keep up the thread, finally something that I can talk
      with authority about!

      Billie
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic