1149Re: Politics of war ( maybe a little off topic)

  • Daniel Giallombardo
    Aug 5, 2000
      --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, grabrulee@a... wrote:
      > Ralph,
      > Everything you say is absolutely correct. In the CSA the
      individual
      > States did not pull together to give that "National Feeling"
      without
      which a
      > nation cannot be a nation. The CSA was, in fact, eleven separate
      States, each
      > with its own agenda, leaving Jeff Davis (the only person as far as
      can see
      > who truely believed in the concept of the Confederacy) in the same
      position
      > as a conductor with an orchestra of eleven different instruments
      all
      playing
      > different tunes at the same time- and you think Clinton has
      problems???
      > I was born in London only four years after WWII ended and
      already, while
      > I was growing up, my parents and their friends were bemoaning the
      fact that
      > that "special" feel was being lost that had got Londoners through
      the dark
      > days of the blitz, the "doodlebugs" , the V2 rockets, etc. All of
      that
      > generation agree that without that feeling Hilter would have
      acheived his
      > goals.
      > If the CSA as a "nation" could not pull together at a time of
      War, how
      > could they ever have survived Peace? My contention is that they
      were
      their
      > own Doom, even without a war. What would have arisen, however, in
      that case
      > would NOT have been the America we know today and for that you have
      the
      > Western Theatre to thank for bringing about an end to the war when
      it did.
      > If anyone thinks that Mankind ever learns anything, read the
      history of
      > battles such as the two Bull Runs, Gettysburg, etc., of the Eastern
      Front;
      > then read the accounts of the battles fought in France during the
      Great War -
      > recognise any difference? I can't. It was not until some thinking
      generals
      > got to grips with things that WWI ever ended; exactly as happened
      50
      years
      > previously on the Western Front in the WBTS.
      > OK, I'm climbing off my soapbox now.
      > Sincerely,
      > Graham Lee.

      Graham,

      I would congratulate you on what I think a most astute
      observation........Davis seemed to be the only one who truly
      understood what was needed to forge the confederated states into a
      nation.Frequently, his requests for men and material from the states
      was met with self-intrest,or simply ignored.
      As for your observations on WWI-again right on the
      money.Adherence to outdated tactics,use of men more as cannon fodder
      than a valuable resource(and I cite the fields of Flanders as a
      perfect example for that),and the refusal to consider flexibility in
      command decisions spelled doom for many many soldiers on both
      sides....
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic