11455Re: [civilwarwest] Wilder's Brigade

  • Mark Jaeger
    May 31, 2002
      Hi Hank,

      I was rather surprised at your last comments since the record of
      "Wilder's Lightning Brigade" (actually commanded by Abram O. Miller from
      late 1864 onward) has long been well known. "WLB" served with distinction
      right up to the end of the war including participation in the Atlanta
      Campaign and the capture and occupation of Selma and Montgomery AL in
      April 1865. There are plenty of sources you can consult including a
      number of regimental histories. Former Sgt. Ben. Magee's "History of the
      72nd Indiana" (published 1882 and reprinted by Acorn Press) is one of the
      best of these. You can also consult the "Indiana in the Civil War" and
      "Illinois in the Civil War" websites to obtain capsule service records of
      the regiments within Wilder's Brigade. The U.S. Army MHI also has
      excellent on-line bibliographies for Wilder's Brigade units as well.

      I have a personal interest in "WLB" since the 72nd Indiana was actually
      raised at Camp Tippecanoe right here in Lafayette, IN (I live three blocks
      from the original site) and many of its veterans are buried in local
      cemeteries. 72nd Colonel A. O. Miller was from Lebanon, IN less than 1/2
      down the road. 72nd historian Benjamin Magee is buried in Montmorenci
      Cemetery, just a few miles from where I write this.

      It might interest you to know that I am currently editing the previously
      unpublished wartime letters of three 72nd Indiana men who served in the
      same company I expect to have these published either this or early next
      year by a major university press. I can't go into specifics at this point
      but CAN tell you these letters are superb and will make a singular
      addition to the "WLB" bibliography.

      Best wishes,

      Mark Jaeger
      Lafayette, IN