February 4, 1863 - New jersey

  • eddieinman
    Message 1 of 57 , Feb 4 8:18 AM
      result of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation. The Great White North--

      Excerpt of Assembly bill introduced on February 4, 1863

      "An Act to prevent the immigration of negroes and to define the standing of the negro race in the State of New Jersey ."

      Provisions included: "
      (1) that a fine of twenty dollars a day for every day after the first four days be levied on any person harboring any negro who immigrated to New Jersey;
      (2) that it be a misdemeanor for any person to entice a negro to New Jersey;
      (3) that every Negro in the state, six months after the passage of the act, be required to procure from the surrogate in the county of his residence a certificate describing his person and his place of birth. Negroes who failed to comply would be deemed non-residents and could neither live nor work in the state. The certificate would have to be renewed every five years;
      (4) that a mulatto with one-fourth negro blood would be judged a negro;
      (5) that marriage between a black and white in another state would bar the couple's entrance into New Jersey . Marriage between blacks and whites in New Jersey would be unlawful and a fine or imprisonment would be imposed on the white party."

      Source: Minutes, 88; Trenton Daily True American , February 5, 1863. Carl E. Hatch, Negro Migration and New Jersey – 1863 , New Jersey History , Volume LXXXVII, Number Four, Whole Number 339, Winter 1969.

      http://sites.bergen.org/ourstory/resources/civilwar/CW_assembly.htm
    • jhtaylor2001
      Message 57 of 57 , Feb 7 12:47 PM
        --- In civilwarhistory2@yahoogroups.com, "Darkmoon" wrote:

        > I think NC secesion was after the fact really,why not tax the folk that stated the whole thing.
        > "....the well to do slave holders who began the agitation for secession,"

        Well, whatever agitation for secession there was in NC, it did no good until self-defense came into play.