Pharoah's Army

  • eddieinman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012

      watched this last night.  A small gem of a movie.  Subtitled  - A Very Private Civil War.  Hard doings, hard times, hard places.  I'm pretty skeptical of such a small foraging party being sent out into such a hard place,  but I guess small budgets may have had a part.  Some truths - "I don't know anybody signing up to get killed to free any nigs."   Some ironies.   Like Ride With The Devil,  I'm sure not appreciated by the powers that be --

      http://www.amazon.com/Pharaohs-Army-Chris-Cooper/dp/B00028G7IO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326208712&sr=1-1

    • helgar3
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012

        Compares to Sayles. Chris Cooper's in it. Oh, I like him. These reasons, and your recommend, Eddie, are all i need, to see:

        --- In civilwarhistory2@yahoogroups.com, eddieinman <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > watched this last night. A small gem of a movie. Subtitled - A Very
        > Private Civil War. Hard doings, hard times, hard places. I'm pretty
        > skeptical of such a small foraging party being sent out into such a hard
        > place, but I guess small budgets may have had a part. Some truths - "I
        > don't know anybody signing up to get killed to free any nigs." Some
        > ironies. Like Ride With The Devil, I'm sure not appreciated by the
        > powers that be --
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/Pharaohs-Army-Chris-Cooper/dp/B00028G7IO/ref=sr_1_\
        > 1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326208712&sr=1-1
        > <http://www.amazon.com/Pharaohs-Army-Chris-Cooper/dp/B00028G7IO/ref=sr_1\
        > _1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326208712&sr=1-1>

      • jhtaylor2001
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
          Thanks for the reccomend, Eddie.

          --- In civilwarhistory2@yahoogroups.com, eddieinman <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > watched this last night. A small gem of a movie. Subtitled - A Very
          > Private Civil War. Hard doings, hard times, hard places. I'm pretty
          > skeptical of such a small foraging party being sent out into such a hard
          > place, but I guess small budgets may have had a part. Some truths - "I
          > don't know anybody signing up to get killed to free any nigs." Some
          > ironies. Like Ride With The Devil, I'm sure not appreciated by the
          > powers that be --
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/Pharaohs-Army-Chris-Cooper/dp/B00028G7IO/ref=sr_1_\
          > 1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326208712&sr=1-1
          > <http://www.amazon.com/Pharaohs-Army-Chris-Cooper/dp/B00028G7IO/ref=sr_1\
          > _1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326208712&sr=1-1>

        • dixieman_sc
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
            --- In civilwarhistory2@yahoogroups.com, eddieinman <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > watched this last night. A small gem of a movie. Subtitled - A Very
            > Private Civil War. Hard doings, hard times, hard places. I'm pretty
            > skeptical of such a small foraging party being sent out into such a hard
            > place, but I guess small budgets may have had a part. Some truths - "I
            > don't know anybody signing up to get killed to free any nigs." Some
            > ironies. Like Ride With The Devil, I'm sure not appreciated by the
            > powers that be --<

            I have that movie. And I think you are right about the powers that be. Probably why it's never been aired on tv. [><]

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
              Dixie, i thought that you had mentioned the movie here before. I searched for the post where you did, intending to reply to it, but could not find it. Definitely a gritty story.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                --- In civilwarhistory2@yahoogroups.com, eddieinman <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Dixie, i thought that you had mentioned the movie here before. I searched for the post where you did, intending to reply to it, but could not find it. Definitely a gritty story.<

                I remember it being discussed. That's how I come to have a copy. And like "Ride With the Devil", I had to special order it. [><]

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 18, 2012
                  dixieman, have you seen - The Last Confederate: The Story of Robert Adams ? Mostly filmed around Columbia & Rock Hill. Good story. Made the mistake of putting ex-governor James adams in the CSA army in 1865, he died in 1861. May have been thinking of Milledge Bonham who served as a brigadier after his term as governor.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 19, 2012
                    --- In civilwarhistory2@yahoogroups.com, eddieinman <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > dixieman, have you seen - The Last Confederate: The Story of Robert Adams ? Mostly filmed around Columbia & Rock Hill. Good story. Made the mistake of putting ex-governor James adams in the CSA army in 1865, he died in 1861. May have been thinking of Milledge Bonham who served as a brigadier after his term as governor.<

                    Seems like I have but not sure. Was Mickey Rooney in it? [><]

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 19, 2012
                      He was. A brief spot. I also read Lee Majors had a spot, but ended up being cut out.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 19, 2012
                        --- In civilwarhistory2@yahoogroups.com, eddieinman <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > He was. A brief spot. I also read Lee Majors had a spot, but ended up being cut out.<

                        Then yes, I have seen it. The main character, Robert Adams, was portrayed by his great great grandson. I believe he also produced and directed it. [><]

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 19, 2012
                          yes, directed by Weston Adams, with great great great grandson Julian Adams portraying Robert Adams.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 20, 2012
                            --- In civilwarhistory2@yahoogroups.com, eddieinman <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > yes, directed by Weston Adams, with great great great grandson Julian Adams portraying Robert Adams.<

                            Yes. I first saw it at a showing at an SCV meeting two or three years ago. [><]

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                              Thanks for the mention, Eddie.

                              Added it to my ZIP list.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                                Watched it last night. Not bad, Eddie. gritty and realistic. I like that. An almost romance, but for the circumstance. My kind of story.

                                I've appreciated Chris Cooper, an excellent character actor, all the more, ever since 'Lone Star', in which he got the chance to play a leading man; and again, in 'Breach'.

                                I appreciate what he says about himself:
                                "I suspect that a lot of studio executives still think of me as 'what's-his-name'"

                                and I love this about him:
                                "Frankly, my politics are pretty left of left."

                                As for Patricia Clarkson, she's terrific in this little gem of a movie, also; one of her few leading lady roles; and another of the real romance genre I mentioned above: (IMO the DVD Special Features Commentary on the movie is very enlightening and thus well worth watching, too.)

                                http://www.amazon.com/Cairo-Time-Patricia-Clarkson/dp/B0041KT3NK/

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                                  I thought good considering the miniscule budget. Sort of curious that they did npt bring in a few re-enactors to make it a little more encompassing. But, maybe the characters were the focus. Like - Ride With The Devil - never had a chance for general viewership.

                                  Another low budget, locally produced effort is - Hunter's Raid: The Battle for Lynchburg. They did a fine job with their budget and re-enactors.

                                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1704595/

                                  http://www.wset.com/story/18818177/hunters-raid-snags-three-emmys

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK8uueeqqMI