Lars Helleckson Odland

  • auis4120
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2006
      Hi!

      I'm searching for one Lars Helleckson Odland, b. 1807 who served
      with the CSA during the Civil War. Due to the fact that I live in
      Norway, my access to sources are somewhat limited.

      Here's what I know about Lars: He was born in 1807 in Southwestern
      Norway, and came to Illinois some time during the 1840s. He served
      with an Illinois regiment in the Mexican War, and is said to have
      been in Mexico City in 1848. When the Civil War broke out he went
      South to join his great idol, Jeff Davis. Some unconfirmed sources
      claims he served with a CSA artillery unit. He died in a VA hospital
      in Indiana several years after the war.

      I've tried searching the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors system
      online, but to no avail. During the search I've pretty much used any
      thinkable spelling (Hellecks, Hellex, Hellixon, Hellexon, Helliksen
      etc. etc.), but I still come up with nada. No Lars, Laurs, Lawrence
      or anything even remotely similar.

      Any suggestions where I might find this guy?

      Best regards,
      Stein