Military record

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2004
      I finally tracked down a relative who fought for the Union during
      the C.W.I would like to know how I would obtain his war record,
      discharge, pension records or whatever these men had to document
      their military service.
      He was in the Iowa 10th Infantry, Company I
      Thanks a million,
      Donna
    • johnnyreb1865@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2004
        --- In civilwargenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <runtoto@o...>
        wrote:
        > I finally tracked down a relative who fought for the Union during
        > the C.W.I would like to know how I would obtain his war record,
        > discharge, pension records or whatever these men had to document
        > their military service.
        > He was in the Iowa 10th Infantry, Company I
        > Thanks a million,
        > Donna

        National Archives and Records Administration
        8th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
        Washington, DC 20408

        Ask for Civil War Form 80 [get several]
        Fill it out, send it back, with payment and then sit back and wait
        for 4-5 months. Remember, you are dealing with volunteers.

        or

        Broadfoot Publishing Company
        910-686-4816
        http://www.broadfootpublishing.com

        Tell them what you want. Cost is just a bit higher than NARA but the
        turnaround time is faster [usually 1 week or less] and they guarantee
        you get all the information requested.

        Also check

        State Historical Society of Iowa
        East 12th and Grand Avenue