New Member! Hi everybody!

  • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
      Just wanted to take a second and say hello. I am a reference
      librarian and have specialized in Civil War related genealogy
      for about 6 years. I've studied the war for over 30 years.
      Looking forward to helping you all track down your war ancestors.
      Don't hesitate to drop me an email if you have a question or are
      having a hard time finding someone. I'll do what I can to help.

      I had ancestors in PA and WV (union) units.
      Looking forward to reading your posts!!

      Anne
    • Donna Rubin
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Anne. I know you from another C.W. group. I would love help tracking
        down an ancestor. How do you find documentation when most births were at
        home and a lot of records were destroyed? Donna
      • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
          --- In civilwargenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Donna Rubin <bbdrubin@o...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Anne. I know you from another C.W. group. I would love help
          tracking down an ancestor. How do you find documentation when most
          births were at home and a lot of records were destroyed? Donna

          Hi Donna. Yea, let me know when Dragon Lady runs out of steam...maybe
          I'll drop by the board again.

          Anyway...there are lots of ways to trace backwards...it kind of
          depends on the state, the church they belonged to, if there's
          military service involved. Generally, you are not going to find birth
          or death certificates as we know them before 1900...so you have to
          get creative...probate records, tax records, census, local and county
          histories... There's no one size fits all answer. If you give me an
          idea what state / county you're working with, I may be able to make a
          more specific suggestion.

          Anne
        • johnnyreb1865@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
            --- In civilwargenealogy@yahoogroups.com, civilwarlady@y... wrote:
            > --- In civilwargenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Donna Rubin
            <bbdrubin@o...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi Anne. I know you from another C.W. group. I would love help
            > tracking down an ancestor. How do you find documentation when most
            > births were at home and a lot of records were destroyed? Donna
            >
            > Hi Donna. Yea, let me know when Dragon Lady runs out of
            steam...maybe
            > I'll drop by the board again.
            >
            > Anyway...there are lots of ways to trace backwards...it kind of
            > depends on the state, the church they belonged to, if there's
            > military service involved. Generally, you are not going to find
            birth
            > or death certificates as we know them before 1900...so you have to
            > get creative...probate records, tax records, census, local and
            county
            > histories... There's no one size fits all answer. If you give me an
            > idea what state / county you're working with, I may be able to make
            > more specific suggestion.
            >
            > Anne

            Okay you two, behave, before I sic a moderator on you.
            JR d:-)
          • Donna Rubin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
              JR we are very nice, know how to use silverware, have our own teeth and
              behave like the lovely ladies we are, that is of course when we are not
              being called, naïve, ignorant and stupid. Be careful, I have it on good
              word that Anne still carries her cuffs, and I can wrastle anyone to the
              ground. See Donna's prayer.
              Donna Lee
              Dear Lord, I pray for:
              Wisdom, To understand a man,
              Love, To forgive him,
              And Patience, For his moods.
              Because, Lord, if I pray for Strength,
              I'll just beat him to death.

              Btw, I had no idea that you could help with genealogy. I've been picking
              Anne's brain and I now I can hound you too. :)
            • johnnyreb1865@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
                wrote:
                > JR we are very nice, know how to use silverware, have our own teeth
                and
                > behave like the lovely ladies we are, that is of course when we are
                not
                > being called, naïve, ignorant and stupid. Be careful, I have it on
                good
                > word that Anne still carries her cuffs, and I can wrastle anyone to
                the
                > ground. See Donna's prayer.
                > Donna Lee
                > Dear Lord, I pray for:
                > Wisdom, To understand a man,
                > Love, To forgive him,
                > And Patience, For his moods.
                > Because, Lord, if I pray for Strength,
                > I'll just beat him to death.
                >
                > Btw, I had no idea that you could help with genealogy. I've been
                picking
                > Anne's brain and I now I can hound you too. :)

                LOL!! Hound away, Dear Donna, just remember that I still carry my
                cuffs too, even though I now work for a different outfit.
                JR
              • Donna Rubin
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
                  >>LOL!! Hound away, Dear Donna, just remember that I still carry my
                  cuffs too, even though I now work for a different outfit.

                  And if you catch me speeding will you let me off easy because of my
                  Bonnie Blue and Stars 'n' Bars? A very nice State Patrol Officer did a
                  couple of weeks ago

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > >>LOL!! Hound away, Dear Donna, just remember that I still carry my
                    > cuffs too, even though I now work for a different outfit.
                    > JR>>
                    >
                    > And if you catch me speeding will you let me off easy because of my
                    > Bonnie Blue and Stars 'n' Bars? A very nice State Patrol Officer
                    did a
                    > couple of weeks ago
                    >

                    > Donna Lee
                    > Dear Lord, I pray for: