Pvt Amos Vanhoy, 28thNCT, Lane's Brigade, Co. K (Stanly Guards), 1st Div. ANV

  • Mike Hearne <globeandanchor@bigplanet.co
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2003
      Request help from anyone that has experience in genealogy research
      on relatives that served in the war. My great, great Uncle Pvt Amos
      Vanhoy survived somehow to live to be an old man. My father
      remembers him from his childhood telling stories of the battles to
      all the family. My family in North Carolina do not seem to be all
      that interested in genealogy work. Uncle Amos Vanhoy was related to
      my late Grandmother Jennie Morgan Hearne of Albemarle, N.C.

      What I have learned is that Amos Vanhoy (name is protestant French -
      Huegonot) enlisted in the CSA at Albemarle, N.C. in April of 1861.
      He served with Lane's Brigade assigned to the 28th NCT, Co. K
      (Stanly Guards). The 28th was assigned to the 1st Div. ANV under
      Generals Jackson and A.P. Hill. The 28th saw actions in most of the
      major battles; 2nd Manassas, New Bern, Chancerlorsville, Wilderness,
      Gettysburg, Petersburg, and the surrender at Appomatox Court House.

      I have joined the branch-lanebrigade@yahoogroups.com to get
      additional information on the 28th, Co. K. Hopefully, I will get
      lucky with someone that visits the archives at UNC Chapel Hill or
      the archives at the state capital in Raleigh.

      If anyone can help; please advise me at:

      Mike Hearne
      globeandanchor@...
      Tel: (916) 486-0752
    • johnnyreb1865 <johnnyreb1865@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2003
        --- In civilwargenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Hearne
        <globeandanchor@b...>" <globeandanchor@b...> wrote:
        > Request help from anyone that has experience in genealogy research
        > on relatives that served in the war. My great, great Uncle Pvt
        Amos
        > Vanhoy survived somehow to live to be an old man. My father
        > remembers him from his childhood telling stories of the battles to
        > all the family. My family in North Carolina do not seem to be all
        > that interested in genealogy work. Uncle Amos Vanhoy was related
        > my late Grandmother Jennie Morgan Hearne of Albemarle, N.C.
        >
        > What I have learned is that Amos Vanhoy (name is protestant French -

        > Huegonot) enlisted in the CSA at Albemarle, N.C. in April of 1861.
        > He served with Lane's Brigade assigned to the 28th NCT, Co. K
        > (Stanly Guards). The 28th was assigned to the 1st Div. ANV under
        > Generals Jackson and A.P. Hill. The 28th saw actions in most of
        the
        > major battles; 2nd Manassas, New Bern, Chancerlorsville,
        Wilderness,
        > Gettysburg, Petersburg, and the surrender at Appomatox Court House.
        >
        > I have joined the branch-lanebrigade@yahoogroups.com to get
        > additional information on the 28th, Co. K. Hopefully, I will get
        > lucky with someone that visits the archives at UNC Chapel Hill or
        > the archives at the state capital in Raleigh.
        >
        > If anyone can help; please advise me at:
        >
        > Mike Hearne
        > globeandanchor@b...
        > Tel: (916) 486-0752

        Well, Mike, here's confirmation that he did serve:

        Vanhoy, Amos NC 28th Inf. Co.K

        Others of that name from NC were:

        Vanhoy, Edward F. NC 66th Inf. Co.G
        Vanhoy, J.F. NC 57th Inf. Co.K
        Vanhoy, J.F. NS 2nd Cherokee Mtd.Vol. Co.A 2nd Lt.
        Vanhoy, J.L. NC Allen's Co. (Loc.Def.)
        Vanhoy, John A. NC 3rd Inf.
        Vanhoy, William NC 66th Inf. Co.G

        One from TN was:

        Vanhoy, Robert TN 1st (Carter's) Cav. Co.E

        One from TX was:

        Vanhoy, E.H. TX 12th Cav. Co.C

        NORTH CAROLINA 28TH INF REG
        Organized for 12 months at Camp Fisher, near High Point, 9/21/1861 -
        reorganized for the war 4/12/1862 - msurrendered Appomattox Court
        House 4/9/1865
        Assignments:
        Dist of Cape Fear, Dept of NC - Oct 1861-March 1862
        Dist of the Pamlico, Dept of NC - March 1862
        Branch's Brigade, Dist of the Pamlico, Dept of NC - March 1862
        Branch's Brigade, Dept of NC - Apr-May 1862
        Branch's Brigade, Dept of Northern VA - May 1862
        Branch's Brigade, A. P. hill's Div, ANV - may-June 1862
        Branch's Brigade, A. P. Hill's Div, 1st Corps, ANV - July 1862 - May
        1863
        Lane's Brigade, Pender's-Wilcox's Div, 3rd Corps, ANV - May 1863 -
        April 1865
        BATTLES:
        New Bern - 3/14/1862
        Hanover Court House - 5/27/1862
        Seven Days Battles - 6/25-7/1/1862
        Beaver Dam Creek - 6/26/1862
        Gaines' Mill - 6/27/1862
        Frayser's Farm - 6/30/1862
        Malvern hill - 7/1/1862
        Cedar Mountain - 8/9/1862
        2nd Bull Run - 8/28-30/1862
        Chantilly - 9/1/1862
        Harpers Ferry - 9/12-15/1862
        Antietam - 9/17/1862
        Shepardstown Ford - 9/20/1862
        Fredericksburg - 12/13/1862
        Chanvellorsville - 5/1-4/1863
        Gettysburg - 7/1-3/1863
        Falling Waters - 7/10/1863
        Bristoe Campaign - Oct-Nov 1863
        Bristoe Station - 10/14/1863
        Mine Run Campaign - Nov-Dec 1863
        The Wilderness - 5/5-6/1864
        Spotsylvania Court House - 5/8-21/1864
        North Anna - 5/22-26/1864
        Cold Harbor - 6/1-3/1864
        Petersburg Seige - June 1864 - April 1865
        Gravel Hill - 7/28/1864
        Fussell's Mill - 8/16/1864
        Ream's Station - 8/25/1864
        Jones' Farm - 9/30/1864
        Squirrel Level Road - 9/30/1864
        Pegram's Farm - 10/1/1864
        Hatcher's Run - 2/5-7/1865
        Petersburg Final Assault - 4/2/1865
        Battery Gregg - 4/2/1865
        Jetersville - 4/5/1865
        Farmville - 4/7/1865
        Appomattox Court House - 4/9/1865

        Union Vanhoy's:

        Vanhoy, Thomas J. (or Thomas) IN 58th Inf. Co.H

        Vanhoy, Christopher C. KY 3rd Inf. Co.G QMSgt.
        Vanhoy, William A. KY 3rd Inf. Co.G Cpl.

        Vanhoy, John B. MO 7th St.Mil.Cav. Co.H Sgt.
        Vanhoy, John M. MO 7th St.Mil.Cav. Co.H
        Vanhoy, Oliver A. MO 7th St.Mil.Cav. Co.H
        Vanhoy, William A. MO 7th St.Mil.Cav. Co.H Sgt.

        Vanhoy, Ashel (Ashal) TN 2nd Inf. Co.D Cpl.
        Vanhoy, Joshua TN 2nd Inf. Co.D Cpl.

        Suggest you visit: http://www.history-sites.com/

        If you want service records, I suggest http://www.soldiersearch.com/
      • johnnyreb1865 <johnnyreb1865@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2003
          Contact: Kelly Mead
          dkemead@...

          ----------

          Index | Individual | Pedigree | Download GEDCOM

          ----------

          Ahnentafel, Generation No. 1

          ----------

          1. Amos VANHOY was born 22 Apr 1843 in Surry County, North Carolina,
          USA, and died 22 Mar 1932 in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle,
          Stanly County North Carolina, USA. He was the son of 2. James VANHOY
          and 3. Judith BURROUGHS(BURRIS).

          ----------

          Ahnentafel, Generation No. 2

          ----------

          2. James VANHOY was born 1810 in Surry County, North Carolina, USA,
          and died 1 May 1879 in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly
          County North Carolina, USA. He was the son of 4. Thomas VANHOY and 5.
          Sarah TUCKER.

          3. Judith BURROUGHS(BURRIS) was born ~1814 in North Carolina, USA,
          and died in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North
          Carolina, USA. She was the daughter of 6. Taylor BURRIS and 7. Nancy
          MORTON.

          Children of Judith BURROUGHS(BURRIS) and James VANHOY are: i.
          John Francis VANHOY was born 24 Nov 1834 in Surry County, North
          Carolina, USA, and died 25 Aug 1887 in Stanly Memorial Hospital,
          Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA.
          ii. Calvin VANHOY was born 1838 in North Carolina.
          iii. Bennity VANHOY was born 1840 in North Carolina.
          1. iv. Amos VANHOY was born 22 Apr 1843 in Surry County, North
          Carolina, USA, and died 22 Mar 1932 in Stanly Memorial Hospital,
          Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA.
          v. Sarah A. VANHOY was born 1846 in North Carolina.
          vi. James A. VANHOY was born 1850 in North Carolina.

          ----------

          Ahnentafel, Generation No. 3

          ----------

          4. Thomas VANHOY.

          5. Sarah TUCKER.

          Child of Sarah TUCKER and Thomas VANHOY is:2. i. James VANHOY was
          born 1810 in Surry County, North Carolina, USA, and died 1 May 1879
          in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina,
          USA. He married Judith BURROUGHS(BURRIS) 9 Dec 1833 in Surry County,
          North Carolina, USA, daughter of Taylor BURRIS and Nancy MORTON. She
          was born ~1814 in North Carolina, USA, and died in Stanly Memorial
          Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA.

          6. Taylor BURRIS was born 28 Dec 1784 in Anson County, North
          Carolina, USA, and died 1824 in Surry County, North Carolina, USA. He
          was the son of 12. Solomon BURRIS and 13. Judith TAYLOR.

          7. Nancy MORTON. She was the daughter of 14. Carr MORTON.

          Children of Nancy MORTON and Taylor BURRIS are: i. William BURRIS
          was born 21 May 1804, and died 1890 in Stanly Memorial Hospital,
          Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA.
          ii. Beneeta BURRIS was born 8 Sep 1808, and died 26 Dec 1892. She
          married John FURR, son of John Dolan FURR and Abigail STALLINGS. He
          was born 21 Jan 1807, and died 19 Mar 1888 in Stanly County, NC.
          3. iii. Judith BURROUGHS(BURRIS) was born ~1814 in North Carolina,
          USA, and died in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County
          North Carolina, USA. She married James VANHOY 9 Dec 1833 in Surry
          County, North Carolina, USA, son of Thomas VANHOY and Sarah TUCKER.
          He was born 1810 in Surry County, North Carolina, USA, and died 1 May
          1879 in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North
          Carolina, USA.
          iv. Solomon BURRIS was born 27 Aug 1822, and died 3 Feb 1897. He
          married Elizabeth UNKNOWN. She was born 1826.

          ----------

          Ahnentafel, Generation No. 4

          ----------

          12. Solomon BURRIS was born 10 Dec 1754, and died 21 May 1845 in
          Montgomery County, North Carolina, USA. He was the son of 24. Joshua
          Sr SR Burris and 25. Elizabeth BROOKSHIRE.

          13. Judith TAYLOR was born 10 Nov 1766 in Surry County, North
          Carolina, USA, and died 18 Apr 1856 in Stanly Memorial Hospital,
          Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA.

          Children of Judith TAYLOR and Solomon BURRIS are: i. Joshua
          BURRIS was born 4 Jun 1790 in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle,
          Stanly County North Carolina, USA, and died 12 Jul 1878 in Stanly
          Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA. He
          married Sarah SPRINGER, daughter of George SPRINGER and Sarah BLOOM.
          She was born 14 Mar 1791 in North Carolina, USA, and died 14 Jun 1878
          in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina,
          USA.
          6. ii. Taylor BURRIS was born 28 Dec 1784 in Anson County, North
          Carolina, USA, and died 1824 in Surry County, North Carolina, USA. He
          married Nancy MORTON, daughter of Carr MORTON.
          iii. William BURRIS was born 23 Aug 1786, and died 1856 in Stanly
          Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA. He
          married Sophia WHITLEY, daughter of William WHITLEY and Martha
          HATHCOCK. She was born Apr 1809 in North Carolina, and died in Stanly
          Memorial Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA.
          iv. Grace BURRIS was born 3 Jul 1788 in Montgomery County, North
          Carolina, USA, and died 23 May 1878. She married George HONEYCUTT.
          v. Elizabeth BURRIS was born 2 Jun 1793. She married George
          HONEYCUTT.
          vi. Judith BURRIS was born 21-16-1795 in Montgomery County, North
          Carolina, USA.
          vii. Solomon Jr JR Burris was born 14 Aug 1800 in Montgomery
          County, North Carolina, USA, and died 4 Mar 1873 in Stanly Memorial
          Hospital, Albemarle, Stanly County North Carolina, USA. He married
          Sarah MORGAN, daughter of Mark MORGAN and Mary GREEN. She was born
          1799 in North Carolina, USA.
          viii. Nancy Ann BURRIS was born 3 Feb 1804 in Montgomery County,
          North Carolina, USA, and died Bef 1850. She married Benjamin Franklin
          Jr JR Hathcock.
          ix. Obedience BURRIS was born 6 Feb 1808. He married Connie
          WILLIS.

          14. Carr MORTON.

          Child of Carr MORTON is:7. i. Nancy MORTON. She married Taylor
          BURRIS, son of Solomon BURRIS and Judith TAYLOR. He was born 28 Dec
          1784 in Anson County, North Carolina, USA, and died 1824 in Surry
          County, North Carolina, USA.

          ----------

          Ahnentafel, Generation No. 5

          24. Joshua Sr SR Burris was born 1735, and died 1783.

          25. Elizabeth BROOKSHIRE.

          Child of Elizabeth BROOKSHIRE and Joshua Sr SR Burris is:12. i.
          Solomon BURRIS was born 10 Dec 1754, and died 21 May 1845 in
          Montgomery County, North Carolina, USA. He married Judith TAYLOR 12
          Dec 1783. She was born 10 Nov 1766 in Surry County, North Carolina,
          USA, and died 18 Apr 1856 in Stanly Memorial Hospital, Albemarle,
          Stanly County North Carolina, USA.