ID'd ? Union sailor amputee CDV (Ft Fisher) on eBay

  • Jean <jmsc@gbronline.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2003
      Hi JR,

      Am selling a rare CDV on eBay right now... and am trying to determine
      if this man's name is "Bernard Toby" (as printed on back of the
      image). Would you happen to have any info on a Union sailor by that
      name? He lost both arms at Fort Fisher (probably in the powder
      magazine explosion that occured when the fort fell).

      If anyone knows any additional information on the background of this
      image and who this man may be please let me know! :)

      Thanks in advance to you, JR. Here is a pic with all the details:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3202089025

      Jean
    • m2babies
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2003
        The sender of the dispatch is Secretary of War Edwin McMasters
        Stanton.
        The *TERRY* mentioned is Maj. Gen. Alfred H. Terry, Commander.
        The *rebel General* Maj. Gen. W H. C. Whiting Senior Confederate
        Officer,
        104 casualties from the magazine explosion on January 16 (25 killed,
        66
        wounded, and 13 missing)
        Now this is just my opinion: Wouldn't the name Bernard Toby be the
        secretary of Edwin M. Stanton? or atleast the person that sent the
        dispatch?
        Michelle
      • johnnyreb1865 <johnnyreb1865@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2003
          You may have something there, Michelle. I find no listing
          for "BERNARD TOBY" while numerous listing's for other Toby's.

          I have seen this picture in many CW books, but I don't think they
          identify the subject(s).

          --- In civilwargenealogy@yahoogroups.com, m2babies <no_reply@y...>