Ayres or Ayers Cochran(e)

  • s_sc1
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2002
      Please verify this name for me. Ayres was a Private in Company "B"
      in the 5th Kansas Volunteer Regiment. Wounded during battle on
      October 22, 1864.
    • johnnyreb1865
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2002
        --- In civilwargenealogy@y..., s_sc1 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Please verify this name for me. Ayres was a Private in Company "B"
        > in the 5th Kansas Volunteer Regiment. Wounded during battle on
        > October 22, 1864.

        Under the surname, AYRES
        The Roster of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 shows:

        Ayres, Benjamin H. KS 9th Cav. Co.E,B Bugler
        Ayres, Byron P. KS 2nd Cav. Co.K,I Capt.
        Ayres, Seymour KS 9th Cav. Co.H

        Under the surname, AYERS
        The Roster of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 shows:

        Ayers, Benjamin F. KS 5th Cav. Co.I Sgt.

        Ayers, Arvine KS 12th Inf. Co.C 5th Sgt.
        Ayers, Benjamin F. KS 9th Cav. Co.C
        Ayers, Benjamin H. KS 2nd Inf. Co.E
        Ayers, Byron P. KS 2nd Inf. Co.F Capt.
        Ayers, Felix M. KS 15th Cav. Co.C Sgt.
        Ayers, John M. (or J.M.) KS 7th Cav. Co.H
        Ayers, John W. KS 16th Cav. Co.G
        Ayers, Justice (Justin N./Justin/J.N.) KS 15th Cav. Co.M,K Lt.
        Ayers, Justice N. KS 16th Cav. Co.G
        Ayers, Justin N. KS 7th Cav. Co.H Sgt.
        Ayers, McCreery (McCreary) KS 15th Cav. Co.C
        Ayers, Samuel KS 7th Cav. Chap.
        Ayers, Samuel N. (or S.N.) KS 7th Cav. Co.H 1st Lt.
        Ayers, Samuel W. KS 2nd Cav. Co.B Cpl.
        Ayers, Samuel W. KS 9th Cav. Co.C
        Ayers, Samuel W. KS Lt.Arty. 3rd Ind.Btty. Cpl.
        Ayers, Venus M. KS 14th Cav. Co.B
        Ayers, Vinson KS 6th Cav. Co.A
        Ayers, William H. KS 15th Cav. Co.M Sgt.

        Which does not seem to fit the requirements.

        Under the surname, COCHRAN(E)
        The Roster of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 shows:

        Cochrain, Henry KS 5th Cav. Co.D

        Cochran, Charles KS 12th Inf. Co.F 1st Sgt.
        Cochran, David C. KS 11th Cav. Co.A Cpl.
        Cochran, Finis B. KS 14th Cav. Co.E 1st Sgt.
        Cochran, Henry KS 9th Cav. Co.D Cpl.
        Cochran, Henry O. KS 12th Inf. Co.F
        Cochran, Thomas G. KS 9th Cav. Co.K
        Cochran, William H. KS 9th Cav. Co.I,D Cpl.
        Cochran, William H. KS 16th Cav. Co.I 2nd Sgt.
        Cochran, William O. KS 10th Inf. Co.C
        Cochrane, George L. KS 17th Inf. Co.E
        Cochrane, Houson F. KS 12th Inf. Co.F
        Cochrane, Samuel L. KS Cav. 18th Bn. Co.A
        Cochrun, Francis M. KS 9th Cav. Co.I,D

        Again, close but not quite right.

        Looking under the Roster of the KS 5th Inf I find only two [2] names:

        Fairfield, William KS 5th Inf.
        Smith, Edward A. KS 5th Inf. (Cav.Sub.) Co.F

        So, if it's not
        Ayers, Benjamin F. KS 5th Cav. Co.I Sgt.
        or
        Cochrain, Henry KS 5th Cav. Co.D

        I don't know what to tell you. To see only two names connected with
        the 5th Kansas Regiment Infantry indicates to me that the records are
        incomplete. Dyers Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, Vol II,
        page 1187 staes two companies organized at Fort Scott and were
        attached to Lane's Kansas Brigade. Operations about Fort Scott
        September and October, 1861. Action at Morristown September 17.
        Osceola September 21-22. Discontinued and merged into other
        organizations.

        5th Kansas Regiment Militia Infantry was called into service October
        9, 1864, to repel Price's invasion. Action at Byram's Ford, Big Blue,
        October 22. Westport October 23. Mine Creek, Osage River, Marias des
        Cygnes, October 25. Newtonia, October 28. Disbanded October 29, 1864.

        If he served in the militia, his name would not appear in the Roster
        of Union Soldiers.

        Suggested contacts:

        Kansas State Historical Society
        6425 SW 6th Street
        Topeka, KS 66615
        785-272-8681
        www.kshs.org

        Kansas State Library
        State Capitol Building
        300 Southwest 10th Avenue
        Room 343 North
        Topeka, KS 66612
        785-296-3296

        Sorry I could not be of more help. Let me know what you find out.

        JR d:-)