Re: [CIVIL WAR GENEALOGY] Re: Soldier records

  • Zeebyrd
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002
      I'll be going to the National Archives as soon as I
      get a few things cleared up. Yesterday, I found "new"
      information that Robert P. Rogers was born in
      Sylvarena, MS - not in SC as we had believed. In the
      info I found, he was listed as Bob P. Rogers. I know
      that he's buried in Holly Grove Cemetery in Simpson
      Co., Mississippi - and that there's a notation on his
      tombstone that he was a Confederate soldier. His
      tombstone lists him as R.P. Rogers.

      Rogers' wife, Eran Elizabeth (Everett) Rogers was
      supposed to have collected her husband's Civil War
      pension, but I have yet to find information regarding
      that.

      Are there any resources that list where Confederate
      soldiers are buried so that I can possibly cross
      reference Robert (or Bob) P. Rogers to now determine
      if he served in SC or MS? I'm still going through
      rosters of MS units, but have yet to find him. Its
      still possible that he's originally from SC and the
      Sylvarena, MS reference is incorrect, but I wont know
      until I find something to dispute or prove it.

      Thank you for your continued help!

      Zee

      http://members.carol.net/%7Erickysahn/SC14/sc14main.html

      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~york/18thSC/G.htm

      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~york/Kanapaux/index.html

      > > > LOUISIANA
      > > >
      > > > http://members.tripod.com/%7Etcc230/lacavreg.htm
      > > >
      > > > http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Woods/3501/
      > > >
      > > > http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/10th/10th.htm
      > > >
      > > > http://www.fred.net/stevent/14LA/14/la.html
      > > >
      > > > http://members.tripod.com/~pipeslines/
      > > >
      > > > This should lead you to other sites. If there is
      > > > specific soldier
      > > > or soldiers that you want to conform fought for
      > > north
      > > > or South, give
      > > > me their names and I'll run a check for you.
      > > >
      > > > JRd:-)
      > > >

      > > > --- In civilwargenealogy@y..., Zeebyrd
      > > <zeebyrd@y...>
      > (as
      > > > much
      > records.
      > > > Carolina
      > > either
      > at
      > > all.

      > proven
      > > > useful

      > Yahoo!
      > > > Terms of Service.

      > > Terms of Service.

      > > http://finance.yahoo.com

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • johnnyreb1865
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002
        Roster of Confederate Soldiers, 186-1865 still fails to show a
        Robert, Bob, R.P. Rogers other than the one from Virginia. Rechecking
        for Mississippi I find no Bob, Robert, Robert P., R.P. but did find
        the following which may or may not help.

        Rogers, P. MS 8th Cav. Co.D

        Is it possible the clerk did not record the First initial or that he
        only used the second?

        Rogers, P.R. MS 2nd (Davidson's) Inf. Co.I
        Rogers, P.R. MS 7th Cav. Co.K

        Is it possible the clerk got the initials reversed?

        Rogers, R.R. MS 18th Cav. Co.C
        Rogers, R.R. MS 34th Inf. Co.D

        Could an "R.P." have been written down as "R.R."?

        Mississippi Department of Archives and History
        P.O.Box 571
        Jackson, MS 39205
        601-359-6876

        Remember to tell me what happens.