a question of bonnets

  • cometkatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2005
      Hi all

      Does anyone know a source of dating data on sunbonnet styles?? I
      have recently acquired two ?"antique"? sunbonnets that are really
      neat and i would like to make a pattern from them. what makes them
      different from the patterns i do have is buttons.

      the first one has buttons all around the back of the crown(not sure
      if thats the right the term-the part with slats) so that the actual
      back of the bonnet comes completely off

      the second on is cut and sewn so that the back is buttoned together.
      again along the back of the crown and the bavoulet(sp?) buttons
      together in back. when unbuttoned it can lay out flat.

      what i have not been able to determine is actual age as neither
      seller knew.

      any suggetions would be greatly appreciated

      thanks

      rj