Re: [civ3_asknsuggest] Play The World

  • JEAN COLLINS
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2003
      well, not you need to install civIII before you play
      the extension of Play the World
      --- paulcain@... wrote:

      > >Here's a dumb question....
      >
      > Can you use Play the World all by itself, just to
      > get the other civs,
      > units, and advances?
      >
      > I thought I'd ask before I blew the money.
      >
      > P Cain

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Derek Nicol
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 17, 2003

        >From: paulcain@...
        >To: civ3_asknsuggest@yahoogroups.com
        >CC: emmanuel@...
        >Subject: Re: [civ3_asknsuggest] Play The World
        >Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:27 +0100
        >

        > >Here's a dumb question....
        >
        >Can you use Play the World all by itself, just to get the other civs,
        >units, and advances?
        >
        >I thought I'd ask before I blew the money.
        >

        >P Cain

        I did...

      • Emmanuel
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
          Perhaps I wasn't clear.

          I own Civ3. It's installed.

          My question was, "Is it worth buying PTW just for the new civs and units, etc. even if you don't use the multiplayer?"

          I think I've answered that question due to new Conquests expansion info. The website at civ3.com says that it includes all of the PTW content! I'll wait until November 4.

          Rev. Paul J Cain, Jr.
          paulcain@...

          Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (LCMS)
          901 Trona Drive
          Green River WY 82935
          (307) 875-2598
          emmanuel@...
          http://www.lutheransonline.com/lo/emmanuel

                <><
          Ephesians 2:8-10
          --- paulcain@... wrote:

          > >Here's a dumb question....
          >
          > Can you use Play the World all by itself, just to
          > get the other civs,
          > units, and advances?
          >
          > I thought I'd ask before I blew the money.
          >
          > P Cain

          Group website
          http://www.geocities.com/acivgroup/index.html

        • MBC
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
            FWIW, I love PTW and I can't play multi-player.  We are still on dial up, and no DSL yet in our area.  My internet connection is way too slow for multi-player.
            PTW is a lot of fun, and well worth the extra money IMHO even without the MP.
            HTH,
            mb

            Perhaps I wasn't clear.

            I own Civ3. It's installed.

            My question was, "Is it worth buying PTW just for the new civs and units, etc. even if you don't use the multiplayer?"

          • Jon Bjerke
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
              You should get into multiplayer using the Play by EMail method. Even with
              dialup, it works quite well. Let me know if you want to play a game.

              Jon Bjerke
              Information Technology
              Bobcat Company
              250 E. Beaton Drive
              West Fargo, ND 58078
              Phone: 701-241-8722
              Fax: 815-371-0392
              jon_bjerke@...
              http://www.bobcat.com

              "MBC"
              <dfking@... To: <civ3_asknsuggest@yahoogroups.com>
              > cc:
              10/19/2003 10:09
              AM
              Please respond to
              civ3_asknsuggest

              FWIW, I love PTW and I can't play multi-player. We are still on dial up,
              and no DSL yet in our area. My internet connection is way too slow for
              multi-player.
              PTW is a lot of fun, and well worth the extra money IMHO even without the
              MP.
              HTH,
              mb

              Perhaps I wasn't clear.

              I own Civ3. It's installed.

              My question was, "Is it worth buying PTW just for the new civs and units,
              etc. even if you don't use the multiplayer?"

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
                HELLO, FELOW PLAYER . I REALY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PALY
                BY E-MAIL. IT COULD BE NICE IF YOU TELL ME HOW. I'LL
                PLAY.
                --- Jon Bjerke <jon_bjerke@...> wrote:

                > You should get into multiplayer using the Play by
                > EMail method. Even with
                > dialup, it works quite well. Let me know if you
                > want to play a game.

                > Jon Bjerke
                > Information Technology
                > Bobcat Company
                > 250 E. Beaton Drive
                > West Fargo, ND 58078
                > Phone: 701-241-8722
                > Fax: 815-371-0392
                > jon_bjerke@...
                > http://www.bobcat.com
                >

                > "MBC"
                >

                > <dfking@... To:
                > <civ3_asknsuggest@yahoogroups.com>
                >

                > cc:
                >

                > Subject: Re: [civ3_asknsuggest] Play The
                > World
                > 10/19/2003
                > 10:09
                >
                > AM
                >

                > Please
                > respond to
                >

                > civ3_asknsuggest

                > FWIW, I love PTW and I can't play multi-player. We
                > are still on dial up,
                > and no DSL yet in our area. My internet connection
                > is way too slow for
                > multi-player.
                > PTW is a lot of fun, and well worth the extra money
                > IMHO even without the
                > MP.
                > HTH,
                > mb
                >
                > Perhaps I wasn't clear.
                >
                > I own Civ3. It's installed.
                >
                > My question was, "Is it worth buying PTW just for
                > the new civs and units,
                > etc. even if you don't use the multiplayer?"
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > (Embedded image moved to file: pic20280.gif)
                >

                > (Embedded image moved to file: pic05638.gif)

                > Group website
                > http://www.geocities.com/acivgroup/index.html

                > Terms of Service.
                >

                > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=pic20280.gif

                > ATTACHMENT part 3 image/gif name=pic05638.gif

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • JEAN COLLINS
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
                  i THINK IT IS WORTH THE MONEY. BEISDES, YOU MIGHT NEED
                  TO INSTALL PTW BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW EXTENSION
                  PACKEGED.
                  --- Emmanuel <paulcain@...> wrote:
                  > Perhaps I wasn't clear.
                  >
                  > I own Civ3. It's installed.
                  >
                  > My question was, "Is it worth buying PTW just for
                  > the new civs and units, etc. even if you don't use
                  > the multiplayer?"
                  >
                  > I think I've answered that question due to new
                  > Conquests expansion info. The website at civ3.com
                  > says that it includes all of the PTW content! I'll
                  > wait until November 4.
                  >

                  > Rev. Paul J Cain, Jr.
                  > paulcain@...
                  >
                  > Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (LCMS)
                  > 901 Trona Drive
                  > Green River WY 82935
                  > (307) 875-2598
                  > emmanuel@...
                  > http://www.lutheransonline.com/lo/emmanuel
                  >
                  > <><
                  > Ephesians 2:8-10

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Kit D Ballantyne

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 21, 2003
                      Good for you, I personally preffer to become strong
                      economicaly and militariestic. You should always have
                      more soldiers or units then your neighbors. Write back
                      if you like. tell me what you think of this.
                      --- Kit D Ballantyne <kdisney@...> wrote:
                      > I have a cable modem and PTW, but I don't use
                      > multiplayer either. I
                      > happen to enjoy founding cities and researching
                      > technologies and all
                      > that, which I have been unable to do in multiplayer
                      > because whenever
                      > I've played the others just built units and went
                      > hell-bent to eliminate
                      > the other civilizations. Now that might be fun for
                      > some, but I prefer
                      > peace and exploration. War to me is a last resort
                      > when all other methods
                      > have failed.
                      >
                      > I like the new units and new scenarios in PTW and
                      > also have the next
                      > expansion on order. To me they are worth it even
                      > without multiplayer.
                      >
                      > MBC wrote:
                      >
                      > > FWIW, I love PTW and I can't play multi-player.
                      > We are still on dial
                      > > up, and no DSL yet in our area. My internet
                      > connection is way too
                      > > slow for multi-player.
                      > > PTW is a lot of fun, and well worth the extra
                      > money IMHO even without
                      > > the MP.
                      > > HTH,
                      > > mb

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    • Kit D Ballantyne
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 21, 2003
                        Yes, I always believe in having more military units than those around
                        me, but when they are sending them into battle in droves just as soon as
                        they are built, it is hard to keep up with them and it keeps me from
                        building things I like, such as universities and wonders of the world.

                        I wrote a scenario for a humungous world full of civilizations based on
                        religions. It uses only new civilizations. It also adds a lot of
                        buildings, military units, wonders and civilization advances to the
                        game. I play it all the time. When I want a faster-paced game I use
                        fewer civilizations so the computer doesn't take forever with the 17
                        other civs (even on my Pentium IV 2.6 ghz machine, there are lengthy
                        delays between turns in ANY CIV III game, but using fewer civilizations
                        makes it faster). I play this scenario for two reasons 1) I can interact
                        with a lot of other religions that may or may not be helpful and 2) I
                        can add anything I like to the game whenever I see the need using the
                        Civ Editor.

                        I don't believe that we make the world "civilized" by looking for others
                        just to eliminate them. My games are based on sharing technologies,
                        diplomacy and peace - but if someone refused to be peaceful and becomes
                        a threat to my civilization. I go after them with large armies of the
                        best military units I can find - just like I believe countries must do
                        in real life. I thn attempt to beat them down to where they will either
                        leave me alone or be no real threat anymore. If they refuse that option,
                        then I eliminate them.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 26, 2003
                          Hello again, fan. I do not know how to create maps i
                          wish you could write me and tell me how. the game is
                          realy good, but I still think is better the
                          militaristic power and economical. not only that builg
                          many towns as you can. Some levels of the game like
                          warlord requerts rapid growth of the country. In that
                          way you can pay for the science advances.WRITE BACK

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 28, 2003
                            Well, certainly I have created entire scenarios rather than just maps,
                            but there are maps in the scenario editor. If you run Civ3Edit.Exe
                            (which is part of the retail version of Civilization III), it will come
                            up with a blank map that is used to create any maps you like, with
                            different terrian features, brush+types and everything.

                            Part of the point of my message was just how versatil├Že CIV III actually
                            is. Some people play it as strictly a war game to eliminate everyone
                            else as quickly as possible. Others play it in order to show off their
                            diplomatic skills and win that way. For me it is a technology race to
                            build a spaceship to another planet. The game is not one simple thing.
                            It is different challenges to different people.