Re: [cityinthewoods] Housekeepers? Eating out?

  • Rob West
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 17, 2006
      You all need to find your way onto Main St in Nashua. Nashua also has some
      great holiday street closings (Main St)

      Gibbet Hill Grill on Rt. 40 in Groton is great as well.
    • Dave Schlesinger
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 18, 2006
        Here are some of the local places we like, in no particular order.
        We've eaten at all of these places multiple times, unless otherwise
        noted. I'm not listing other places we've tried that we didn't like
        as much.

        Asian:

        Sichuan Gourmet, 502 Boston Rd, Billerica
        http://www.laosichuan.com
        - Excellent authentic Chinese, you'll feel like you're in China
        (or at least Chinatown) when you eat there.

        Bamboo, 1 LAN Dr, Westford
        - Pretty good mainstream Chinese, good mai tais, buffet lunches
        (including sushi) during the week and Sunday night buffet.

        Ginger, 78 Great Rd, Bedford
        http://gingerbedford.com
        - Good Japanese and sushi, not too busy on weekends.

        Sakura, 7 Summer St, Chelmsford
        - Good Japanese and sushi.

        Thai Jasmine, 313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford
        - Excellent Thai, in a little plaza on 110 near Westford.

        Lemon Tree Restaurant, 211 Middlesex Tpk, Burlington
        http://www.lemontreecafe.net/id3.html
        - Excellent Thai, used to be our favorite Thai place before
        we discovered Jasmine Thai (which is closer). Our favorite
        two dishes there are the Hanoi Beef Curry and Drunken Noodles
        (or maybe they're called Crazy Noodles).

        Indian:

        India Palace, 313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford
        http://www.indiapalacenh.com
        - Very good Indian fare, in the same plaza with Jasmine Thai.
        No liquor license last time I was there, but it's coming.

        Bombay Mahal, 45 Middle St, Lowell
        http://www.bombaymahal.lowell.ma
        - Also very good, very inexpensive wine (by restaurant standards).
        Very cool section of Lowell, several other restaurants there (which
        we haven't tried yet). Visit the web site for coupons before going.

        Other:

        Westford Grille, 142 Littleton Rd, Westford
        http://www.westfordgrille.com
        - Pretty good food, for both lunch and dinner.

        Crossroads Cafe, 405 Nagog Park, Acton
        - Extensive menu, always good in our experience. Sometimes busy
        on Saturday, sometimes not. No reservations.

        Not Your Average Joe's, 305 Main St, Acton
        http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com
        - Very good food, interesting menu. Very busy on Saturday nights,
        make a reservation.

        Belles Bistro, 2 Power Rd, Westford
        - Very good food, more upscale than it appears to be from the outside.
        Fairly new, located at intersection of Power Rd and Rt 110. We've
        eaten here once.

        Number 5 Strawberry Hill, 5 Strawberry Hill Rd, Acton
        - Excellent food, upscale.

        Of course, you also have the standard chain restuarants like Chili's
        and Applebee's (Westford), Bertucci's (Chelmsford), etc., which are
        pretty much the same everywhere.

        We haven't found a good local BBQ place or Mexican restaurant yet.
        There used to be a Mexican restaurant called Sombrero's, next to
        Vincenzo's in Chelmsford (it's now Hellenic Grill). We really
        liked Sombrero's, and were very disappointed when it closed.

        Hope this helps. Bon Appetit!

        -- Dave
      • Carolyn Ing
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 18, 2006
          We just went back to a good barbecue place in Burlington, Lester's. It's in
          Burlington on Route 3A where it intersects with Route 62. Good smoky
          barbecue, and their chicken is particularly good. Their side dishes are
          good, too. The restaurant is in what used to be a fast food restaurant, but
          they've done a good job of turning it into a barbecue joint.

          Carolyn Ing
        • Dave Schlesinger
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
            Thanks for recommending Lester's. We tried it last night and were very
            pleased. The food was very good, the retro decor was cool, and service
            was good. You order at the counter and grab any seat, and they bring
            your order to you and get you anything you need while you're eating.
            There was a decent amount of seating.

            I had the 3-item BBQ combo with pulled pork, chopped BBQ beef, and hot
            sausage, all of which were very good. The meat was tender and not
            fatty, and the BBQ sauce was very tasty. For sauces, you can choose
            hot, smoky, or (I think) sweet & tangy. I used a mix of the hot and
            smoky sauces. I had the baked beans and cole slaw for sides. The baked
            beans were average (and not hot enough), the slaw was good. The platter
            also comes with cornbread, which was good.

            My wife had the 2-item combo with ribs and pulled pork. The ribs don't
            appear to be baby back, but they're very meaty and my wife liked them.
            She had green beans and slaw for sides. The green beans were overcooked.

            The combo platters were generous without being overwhelming. I was able
            to eat all of mine, my wife took some home.

            The food and setup is comparable to Blue Ribbon BBQ, in West Newton and
            Arlington.

            Lester's web site is at http://www.lestersbbq.com/index.html.

            -- Dave
          • reed_savory
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 23, 2006
              My wife and I recently had our anniversary dinner at "Max Stein's
              American" in Lexington, and I have to say its been a long time since
              either of us has had such an amazing meal in such a well-created setting.

              Truly, I'd say this place is on-par with any of the best in Boston.

              -Reed Savory
              Fern Lane