Re: [cityinthewoods] Housekeepers? Eating out?
- You all need to find your way onto Main St in Nashua. Nashua also has some
great holiday street closings (Main St)
Gibbet Hill Grill on Rt. 40 in Groton is great as well.
- Here are some of the local places we like, in no particular order.
We've eaten at all of these places multiple times, unless otherwise
noted. I'm not listing other places we've tried that we didn't like
Sichuan Gourmet, 502 Boston Rd, Billerica
- Excellent authentic Chinese, you'll feel like you're in China
(or at least Chinatown) when you eat there.
Bamboo, 1 LAN Dr, Westford
- Pretty good mainstream Chinese, good mai tais, buffet lunches
(including sushi) during the week and Sunday night buffet.
Ginger, 78 Great Rd, Bedford
- Good Japanese and sushi, not too busy on weekends.
Sakura, 7 Summer St, Chelmsford
- Good Japanese and sushi.
Thai Jasmine, 313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford
- Excellent Thai, in a little plaza on 110 near Westford.
Lemon Tree Restaurant, 211 Middlesex Tpk, Burlington
- Excellent Thai, used to be our favorite Thai place before
we discovered Jasmine Thai (which is closer). Our favorite
two dishes there are the Hanoi Beef Curry and Drunken Noodles
(or maybe they're called Crazy Noodles).
India Palace, 313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford
- Very good Indian fare, in the same plaza with Jasmine Thai.
No liquor license last time I was there, but it's coming.
Bombay Mahal, 45 Middle St, Lowell
- Also very good, very inexpensive wine (by restaurant standards).
Very cool section of Lowell, several other restaurants there (which
we haven't tried yet). Visit the web site for coupons before going.
Westford Grille, 142 Littleton Rd, Westford
- Pretty good food, for both lunch and dinner.
Crossroads Cafe, 405 Nagog Park, Acton
- Extensive menu, always good in our experience. Sometimes busy
on Saturday, sometimes not. No reservations.
Not Your Average Joe's, 305 Main St, Acton
- Very good food, interesting menu. Very busy on Saturday nights,
make a reservation.
Belles Bistro, 2 Power Rd, Westford
- Very good food, more upscale than it appears to be from the outside.
Fairly new, located at intersection of Power Rd and Rt 110. We've
eaten here once.
Number 5 Strawberry Hill, 5 Strawberry Hill Rd, Acton
- Excellent food, upscale.
Of course, you also have the standard chain restuarants like Chili's
and Applebee's (Westford), Bertucci's (Chelmsford), etc., which are
pretty much the same everywhere.
We haven't found a good local BBQ place or Mexican restaurant yet.
There used to be a Mexican restaurant called Sombrero's, next to
Vincenzo's in Chelmsford (it's now Hellenic Grill). We really
liked Sombrero's, and were very disappointed when it closed.
Hope this helps. Bon Appetit!
- We just went back to a good barbecue place in Burlington, Lester's. It's in
Burlington on Route 3A where it intersects with Route 62. Good smoky
barbecue, and their chicken is particularly good. Their side dishes are
good, too. The restaurant is in what used to be a fast food restaurant, but
they've done a good job of turning it into a barbecue joint.
- Thanks for recommending Lester's. We tried it last night and were very
pleased. The food was very good, the retro decor was cool, and service
was good. You order at the counter and grab any seat, and they bring
your order to you and get you anything you need while you're eating.
There was a decent amount of seating.
I had the 3-item BBQ combo with pulled pork, chopped BBQ beef, and hot
sausage, all of which were very good. The meat was tender and not
fatty, and the BBQ sauce was very tasty. For sauces, you can choose
hot, smoky, or (I think) sweet & tangy. I used a mix of the hot and
smoky sauces. I had the baked beans and cole slaw for sides. The baked
beans were average (and not hot enough), the slaw was good. The platter
also comes with cornbread, which was good.
My wife had the 2-item combo with ribs and pulled pork. The ribs don't
appear to be baby back, but they're very meaty and my wife liked them.
She had green beans and slaw for sides. The green beans were overcooked.
The combo platters were generous without being overwhelming. I was able
to eat all of mine, my wife took some home.
The food and setup is comparable to Blue Ribbon BBQ, in West Newton and
Lester's web site is at http://www.lestersbbq.com/index.html.
- My wife and I recently had our anniversary dinner at "Max Stein's
American" in Lexington, and I have to say its been a long time since
either of us has had such an amazing meal in such a well-created setting.
Truly, I'd say this place is on-par with any of the best in Boston.