Re: [cityinthewoods] Housekeepers? Eating out?

  • yt stuff
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 16, 2006
      We like Ginger [located in bedford center] a lot. Its practically a
      weekly ritual for us. I would highly recommend their "rising sun"
      roll as well as their sushi/sashimi.
      o Ginger Japanese Restaurant78 Great Rd, Bedford, MA(781) 271-0788

      good Vietnamese place Drum Hill rotary exit 32 off rt495
      o Pho 88 1270 Westford St, Lowell, MA (978) 452-7300

      Another decent Thai place
      o Garlic Bistro (drum hill rotary as well, same plaza as starbucks)

      two more Thai places - I can only speak for their lunch menu though.
      o Thai Jasmine313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford, MA (978) 250-9509
      o Yoong Tong II Thai Restaurant 61 Central sq, Chelmsford, MA

      A very good Indian restaurant. I recommend their spring dosa, and
      potato dosa and their curry dishes.
      o Udupi Bhavan Lowell1717 Middlesex St, Lowell, MA (978) 654-6653

      good taiwanese/chinese place - they have dishes different some of the
      chinese places outside of chinatown. their bento boxes are pretty
      good too.
      o Tai Shiang Garden Restaurant 7 Summer St # 17, Chelmsford, MA

      On 8/15/06, Carolyn Ing <carolyning@...> wrote:

      > Here are a few more recommendations:
      >
      > T.C. Lando's: already mentioned in a previous email, but their
      > Philadelphia-style steak and cheese subs are outstanding.
      >
      > You don't have to drive too far to get to some authentic Asian restaurants:
      >
      > Thai: Don't remember the name of it, but it's in the plaza with Acton
      > True Value Hardware on Rte 27, past Rte 111 and KMart. Big menu,
      > including a wide variety of curries. Good food, friendly wait staff.
      > Don't miss the Golden Bags appetizer.
      >
      > Korean: the best Korean restaurant in the area is New Jang Su BBQ in
      > Burlington, 260 Cambridge St. (Rte 3A). Most of the tables in the
      > restaurant have individual gas grills built into them, and barbecue
      > dishes are cooked right at your table. Try the kal bi (marinated
      > short ribs). All the entrees come with a variety of pickled vegetable
      > side dishes and steamed rice, plus lettuce leaves in which to wrap the meat.
      >
      > Sichuan: The Sichuan Gourmet in Billerica, 502 Boston Road just past
      > KMart. Haven't had a bad dish there yet. Authentic and excellent
      > food. Restaurant founders are from Chengdu in Sichuan province.
      >
      > Carolyn Ing

    • Kevin Flavin
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 16, 2006
        Ah, but you forgot "The 9s"! It's a local hangout, a lot of regulars. Also, Vincenzos in West Concord is a hangout for some of the more recognized folk of Concord.

        "Thomas J. Raftery" <thomas@...> wrote: Colonial Inn - Concord - traditional New England fare -
        fair.
        Walden Grill - Concord - new menu, better now than it used
        to be. Bar menu was not available at tables.
        Serafinas - Concord - Northern Italian/Tuscan. Very good.
        Bar menu is available at tables. Go to
        www.serafinaristorante.com
        Bamboo - Westford - Chinese and good.
        Chang An - Concord - Chinese and fair.
        Vincenzo's - Chelmsford and West Concord - Italian and good.
        La Boniche - Lowell - Storefront French - very good - noisy.
        Waltham and Watertown have a plethora of great restaurants.

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 16, 2006
          Am I the only one who eats at Cafe Luigi in Bedford??? Or is everybody
          just thinking west?
        • Rob West
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 17, 2006
            You all need to find your way onto Main St in Nashua. Nashua also has some
            great holiday street closings (Main St)

            Gibbet Hill Grill on Rt. 40 in Groton is great as well.
          • Dave Schlesinger
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 18, 2006
              Here are some of the local places we like, in no particular order.
              We've eaten at all of these places multiple times, unless otherwise
              noted. I'm not listing other places we've tried that we didn't like
              as much.

              Asian:

              Sichuan Gourmet, 502 Boston Rd, Billerica
              http://www.laosichuan.com
              - Excellent authentic Chinese, you'll feel like you're in China
              (or at least Chinatown) when you eat there.

              Bamboo, 1 LAN Dr, Westford
              - Pretty good mainstream Chinese, good mai tais, buffet lunches
              (including sushi) during the week and Sunday night buffet.

              Ginger, 78 Great Rd, Bedford
              http://gingerbedford.com
              - Good Japanese and sushi, not too busy on weekends.

              Sakura, 7 Summer St, Chelmsford
              - Good Japanese and sushi.

              Thai Jasmine, 313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford
              - Excellent Thai, in a little plaza on 110 near Westford.

              Lemon Tree Restaurant, 211 Middlesex Tpk, Burlington
              http://www.lemontreecafe.net/id3.html
              - Excellent Thai, used to be our favorite Thai place before
              we discovered Jasmine Thai (which is closer). Our favorite
              two dishes there are the Hanoi Beef Curry and Drunken Noodles
              (or maybe they're called Crazy Noodles).

              Indian:

              India Palace, 313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford
              http://www.indiapalacenh.com
              - Very good Indian fare, in the same plaza with Jasmine Thai.
              No liquor license last time I was there, but it's coming.

              Bombay Mahal, 45 Middle St, Lowell
              http://www.bombaymahal.lowell.ma
              - Also very good, very inexpensive wine (by restaurant standards).
              Very cool section of Lowell, several other restaurants there (which
              we haven't tried yet). Visit the web site for coupons before going.

              Other:

              Westford Grille, 142 Littleton Rd, Westford
              http://www.westfordgrille.com
              - Pretty good food, for both lunch and dinner.

              Crossroads Cafe, 405 Nagog Park, Acton
              - Extensive menu, always good in our experience. Sometimes busy
              on Saturday, sometimes not. No reservations.

              Not Your Average Joe's, 305 Main St, Acton
              http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com
              - Very good food, interesting menu. Very busy on Saturday nights,
              make a reservation.

              Belles Bistro, 2 Power Rd, Westford
              - Very good food, more upscale than it appears to be from the outside.
              Fairly new, located at intersection of Power Rd and Rt 110. We've
              eaten here once.

              Number 5 Strawberry Hill, 5 Strawberry Hill Rd, Acton
              - Excellent food, upscale.

              Of course, you also have the standard chain restuarants like Chili's
              and Applebee's (Westford), Bertucci's (Chelmsford), etc., which are
              pretty much the same everywhere.

              We haven't found a good local BBQ place or Mexican restaurant yet.
              There used to be a Mexican restaurant called Sombrero's, next to
              Vincenzo's in Chelmsford (it's now Hellenic Grill). We really
              liked Sombrero's, and were very disappointed when it closed.

              Hope this helps. Bon Appetit!

              -- Dave
            • Carolyn Ing
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 18, 2006
                We just went back to a good barbecue place in Burlington, Lester's. It's in
                Burlington on Route 3A where it intersects with Route 62. Good smoky
                barbecue, and their chicken is particularly good. Their side dishes are
                good, too. The restaurant is in what used to be a fast food restaurant, but
                they've done a good job of turning it into a barbecue joint.

                Carolyn Ing
              • Dave Schlesinger
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
                  Thanks for recommending Lester's. We tried it last night and were very
                  pleased. The food was very good, the retro decor was cool, and service
                  was good. You order at the counter and grab any seat, and they bring
                  your order to you and get you anything you need while you're eating.
                  There was a decent amount of seating.

                  I had the 3-item BBQ combo with pulled pork, chopped BBQ beef, and hot
                  sausage, all of which were very good. The meat was tender and not
                  fatty, and the BBQ sauce was very tasty. For sauces, you can choose
                  hot, smoky, or (I think) sweet & tangy. I used a mix of the hot and
                  smoky sauces. I had the baked beans and cole slaw for sides. The baked
                  beans were average (and not hot enough), the slaw was good. The platter
                  also comes with cornbread, which was good.

                  My wife had the 2-item combo with ribs and pulled pork. The ribs don't
                  appear to be baby back, but they're very meaty and my wife liked them.
                  She had green beans and slaw for sides. The green beans were overcooked.

                  The combo platters were generous without being overwhelming. I was able
                  to eat all of mine, my wife took some home.

                  The food and setup is comparable to Blue Ribbon BBQ, in West Newton and
                  Arlington.

                  Lester's web site is at http://www.lestersbbq.com/index.html.

                  -- Dave
                • reed_savory
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 23, 2006
                    My wife and I recently had our anniversary dinner at "Max Stein's
                    American" in Lexington, and I have to say its been a long time since
                    either of us has had such an amazing meal in such a well-created setting.

                    Truly, I'd say this place is on-par with any of the best in Boston.

                    -Reed Savory
                    Fern Lane