Re: [cityinthewoods] Housekeepers? Eating out?

  • elle@unchi.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 15, 2006
      [I seem to have missed not only the other messages in this thread, but
      most of the last couple of months' worth. What *is* it with Yahoo!
      dropping list messages everywhere but my inbox this summer? Grrr.
      Anyway...]

      I've lived in Carlisle since January 1998, most of that time with
      kids, and I think I've sampled nearly every restaurant in the area. :}
      Recommendations depend a lot on what you like, and what your price
      range is, and whether you're looking for date food or hoping to feed
      small children.

      American: Not Your Average Joe's, which just opened on 27 in Acton --
      excellent food, drinks and service, although it's a bit pricier than
      other local options.

      Family fare: Applebee's and Chili's on 110 in Westford -- okay when
      you're in that sort of mood; 99 in either West Concord or Littleton --
      ditto. My writing partner says Helen's (formerly Brigham's) in Concord
      is very good for "burgers and breakfast," though I can't vouch for
      either personally.

      Thai: Lemon Tree, on 225 in Bedford -- very good, though there are odd
      holes in the menu (no green curry?).

      Japanese: Sakura, on Summer Street in Chelmsford -- very good; Ginger,
      on 225 in Bedford -- good. Bamboo on 110 in Westford has an all-you-
      can-eat sushi and Chinese-food buffet on Sunday nights, which isn't bad.

      Chinese: Yangtze River, just over the Littleton border -- decent.

      Indian: unfortunately, none locally; your best bets are the excellent
      Bombay in Arlington, and the very good New Mother India on Moody Street
      in Waltham (don't miss their microbrew). Moody Street has other decent
      restaurant options, including a pleasant but expensive tapas joint.

      Korean: the nearest are Dabin in Lexington (good; their sushi is very
      good) and a little storefront place in Maynard.

      Lowell has a decent Vietnamese/pan-Asian place, along with a couple of
      pubs which have edible food as well as good drinks. Medford has a
      *superb* Thai-Japanese place called Sei Bar.

      For most other good eating, I head into the city; Cambridge and Boston
      are teeming with wonderful restaurants. Tell us what you most enjoy
      eating, and we can point you there. :-)

      --
      Ellen Keyne Seebacher elle@...
    • Carolyn Ing
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 15, 2006
        Here are a few more recommendations:

        T.C. Lando's: already mentioned in a previous email, but their
        Philadelphia-style steak and cheese subs are outstanding.

        You don't have to drive too far to get to some authentic Asian restaurants:

        Thai: Don't remember the name of it, but it's in the plaza with Acton
        True Value Hardware on Rte 27, past Rte 111 and KMart. Big menu,
        including a wide variety of curries. Good food, friendly wait staff.
        Don't miss the Golden Bags appetizer.

        Korean: the best Korean restaurant in the area is New Jang Su BBQ in
        Burlington, 260 Cambridge St. (Rte 3A). Most of the tables in the
        restaurant have individual gas grills built into them, and barbecue
        dishes are cooked right at your table. Try the kal bi (marinated
        short ribs). All the entrees come with a variety of pickled vegetable
        side dishes and steamed rice, plus lettuce leaves in which to wrap the meat.

        Sichuan: The Sichuan Gourmet in Billerica, 502 Boston Road just past
        KMart. Haven't had a bad dish there yet. Authentic and excellent
        food. Restaurant founders are from Chengdu in Sichuan province.

        Carolyn Ing
      • Carolyn Ing
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 16, 2006
          Here's a recommendation for a housekeeper: Catia Caliman,
          978-884-3404. She has been doing our house for a couple of years now
          and is trustworthy and reliable.

          Carolyn Ing
        • elle@unchi.org
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 16, 2006
            Carolyn Ing writes:

            > Thai: Don't remember the name of it, but it's in the plaza with
            > Acton True Value Hardware on Rte 27, past Rte 111 and KMart. Big
            > menu, including a wide variety of curries. Good food, friendly wait
            > staff. Don't miss the Golden Bags appetizer.

            Benjarong. I didn't mention it because they keep dropping favorite
            dishes from the menu and I've had some issues with the wait staff, but
            the Golden Bags are pretty good :)

            Ellen
          • yt stuff
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 16, 2006
              We like Ginger [located in bedford center] a lot. Its practically a
              weekly ritual for us. I would highly recommend their "rising sun"
              roll as well as their sushi/sashimi.
              o Ginger Japanese Restaurant78 Great Rd, Bedford, MA(781) 271-0788

              good Vietnamese place Drum Hill rotary exit 32 off rt495
              o Pho 88 1270 Westford St, Lowell, MA (978) 452-7300

              Another decent Thai place
              o Garlic Bistro (drum hill rotary as well, same plaza as starbucks)

              two more Thai places - I can only speak for their lunch menu though.
              o Thai Jasmine313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford, MA (978) 250-9509
              o Yoong Tong II Thai Restaurant 61 Central sq, Chelmsford, MA

              A very good Indian restaurant. I recommend their spring dosa, and
              potato dosa and their curry dishes.
              o Udupi Bhavan Lowell1717 Middlesex St, Lowell, MA (978) 654-6653

              good taiwanese/chinese place - they have dishes different some of the
              chinese places outside of chinatown. their bento boxes are pretty
              good too.
              o Tai Shiang Garden Restaurant 7 Summer St # 17, Chelmsford, MA

              On 8/15/06, Carolyn Ing <carolyning@...> wrote:

              > Here are a few more recommendations:
              >
              > T.C. Lando's: already mentioned in a previous email, but their
              > Philadelphia-style steak and cheese subs are outstanding.
              >
              > You don't have to drive too far to get to some authentic Asian restaurants:
              >
              > Thai: Don't remember the name of it, but it's in the plaza with Acton
              > True Value Hardware on Rte 27, past Rte 111 and KMart. Big menu,
              > including a wide variety of curries. Good food, friendly wait staff.
              > Don't miss the Golden Bags appetizer.
              >
              > Korean: the best Korean restaurant in the area is New Jang Su BBQ in
              > Burlington, 260 Cambridge St. (Rte 3A). Most of the tables in the
              > restaurant have individual gas grills built into them, and barbecue
              > dishes are cooked right at your table. Try the kal bi (marinated
              > short ribs). All the entrees come with a variety of pickled vegetable
              > side dishes and steamed rice, plus lettuce leaves in which to wrap the meat.
              >
              > Sichuan: The Sichuan Gourmet in Billerica, 502 Boston Road just past
              > KMart. Haven't had a bad dish there yet. Authentic and excellent
              > food. Restaurant founders are from Chengdu in Sichuan province.
              >
              > Carolyn Ing

            • Kevin Flavin
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 16, 2006
                Ah, but you forgot "The 9s"! It's a local hangout, a lot of regulars. Also, Vincenzos in West Concord is a hangout for some of the more recognized folk of Concord.

                "Thomas J. Raftery" <thomas@...> wrote: Colonial Inn - Concord - traditional New England fare -
                fair.
                Walden Grill - Concord - new menu, better now than it used
                to be. Bar menu was not available at tables.
                Serafinas - Concord - Northern Italian/Tuscan. Very good.
                Bar menu is available at tables. Go to
                www.serafinaristorante.com
                Bamboo - Westford - Chinese and good.
                Chang An - Concord - Chinese and fair.
                Vincenzo's - Chelmsford and West Concord - Italian and good.
                La Boniche - Lowell - Storefront French - very good - noisy.
                Waltham and Watertown have a plethora of great restaurants.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 16, 2006
                  Am I the only one who eats at Cafe Luigi in Bedford??? Or is everybody
                  just thinking west?
                • Rob West
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 17, 2006
                    You all need to find your way onto Main St in Nashua. Nashua also has some
                    great holiday street closings (Main St)

                    Gibbet Hill Grill on Rt. 40 in Groton is great as well.
                  • Dave Schlesinger
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 18, 2006
                      Here are some of the local places we like, in no particular order.
                      We've eaten at all of these places multiple times, unless otherwise
                      noted. I'm not listing other places we've tried that we didn't like
                      as much.

                      Asian:

                      Sichuan Gourmet, 502 Boston Rd, Billerica
                      http://www.laosichuan.com
                      - Excellent authentic Chinese, you'll feel like you're in China
                      (or at least Chinatown) when you eat there.

                      Bamboo, 1 LAN Dr, Westford
                      - Pretty good mainstream Chinese, good mai tais, buffet lunches
                      (including sushi) during the week and Sunday night buffet.

                      Ginger, 78 Great Rd, Bedford
                      http://gingerbedford.com
                      - Good Japanese and sushi, not too busy on weekends.

                      Sakura, 7 Summer St, Chelmsford
                      - Good Japanese and sushi.

                      Thai Jasmine, 313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford
                      - Excellent Thai, in a little plaza on 110 near Westford.

                      Lemon Tree Restaurant, 211 Middlesex Tpk, Burlington
                      http://www.lemontreecafe.net/id3.html
                      - Excellent Thai, used to be our favorite Thai place before
                      we discovered Jasmine Thai (which is closer). Our favorite
                      two dishes there are the Hanoi Beef Curry and Drunken Noodles
                      (or maybe they're called Crazy Noodles).

                      Indian:

                      India Palace, 313 Littleton Rd, Chelmsford
                      http://www.indiapalacenh.com
                      - Very good Indian fare, in the same plaza with Jasmine Thai.
                      No liquor license last time I was there, but it's coming.

                      Bombay Mahal, 45 Middle St, Lowell
                      http://www.bombaymahal.lowell.ma
                      - Also very good, very inexpensive wine (by restaurant standards).
                      Very cool section of Lowell, several other restaurants there (which
                      we haven't tried yet). Visit the web site for coupons before going.

                      Other:

                      Westford Grille, 142 Littleton Rd, Westford
                      http://www.westfordgrille.com
                      - Pretty good food, for both lunch and dinner.

                      Crossroads Cafe, 405 Nagog Park, Acton
                      - Extensive menu, always good in our experience. Sometimes busy
                      on Saturday, sometimes not. No reservations.

                      Not Your Average Joe's, 305 Main St, Acton
                      http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com
                      - Very good food, interesting menu. Very busy on Saturday nights,
                      make a reservation.

                      Belles Bistro, 2 Power Rd, Westford
                      - Very good food, more upscale than it appears to be from the outside.
                      Fairly new, located at intersection of Power Rd and Rt 110. We've
                      eaten here once.

                      Number 5 Strawberry Hill, 5 Strawberry Hill Rd, Acton
                      - Excellent food, upscale.

                      Of course, you also have the standard chain restuarants like Chili's
                      and Applebee's (Westford), Bertucci's (Chelmsford), etc., which are
                      pretty much the same everywhere.

                      We haven't found a good local BBQ place or Mexican restaurant yet.
                      There used to be a Mexican restaurant called Sombrero's, next to
                      Vincenzo's in Chelmsford (it's now Hellenic Grill). We really
                      liked Sombrero's, and were very disappointed when it closed.

                      Hope this helps. Bon Appetit!

                      -- Dave
                    • Carolyn Ing
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 18, 2006
                        We just went back to a good barbecue place in Burlington, Lester's. It's in
                        Burlington on Route 3A where it intersects with Route 62. Good smoky
                        barbecue, and their chicken is particularly good. Their side dishes are
                        good, too. The restaurant is in what used to be a fast food restaurant, but
                        they've done a good job of turning it into a barbecue joint.

                        Carolyn Ing
                      • Dave Schlesinger
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
                          Thanks for recommending Lester's. We tried it last night and were very
                          pleased. The food was very good, the retro decor was cool, and service
                          was good. You order at the counter and grab any seat, and they bring
                          your order to you and get you anything you need while you're eating.
                          There was a decent amount of seating.

                          I had the 3-item BBQ combo with pulled pork, chopped BBQ beef, and hot
                          sausage, all of which were very good. The meat was tender and not
                          fatty, and the BBQ sauce was very tasty. For sauces, you can choose
                          hot, smoky, or (I think) sweet & tangy. I used a mix of the hot and
                          smoky sauces. I had the baked beans and cole slaw for sides. The baked
                          beans were average (and not hot enough), the slaw was good. The platter
                          also comes with cornbread, which was good.

                          My wife had the 2-item combo with ribs and pulled pork. The ribs don't
                          appear to be baby back, but they're very meaty and my wife liked them.
                          She had green beans and slaw for sides. The green beans were overcooked.

                          The combo platters were generous without being overwhelming. I was able
                          to eat all of mine, my wife took some home.

                          The food and setup is comparable to Blue Ribbon BBQ, in West Newton and
                          Arlington.

                          Lester's web site is at http://www.lestersbbq.com/index.html.

                          -- Dave
                        • reed_savory
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 23, 2006
                            My wife and I recently had our anniversary dinner at "Max Stein's
                            American" in Lexington, and I have to say its been a long time since
                            either of us has had such an amazing meal in such a well-created setting.

                            Truly, I'd say this place is on-par with any of the best in Boston.

                            -Reed Savory
                            Fern Lane