Refrigerated Warehouse Directory

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2014

      Below is a link to material from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Marketing Service-Crop Reporting Board.  The document is Directory of Refrigerated Warehouses In the United States, January 1959, Document No. AMS 288.

      The report is based on a survey taken in the summer of 1958 to update previous reports that began in 1947.

      There are quite a number of California facilities listed by city, address and type in this report beginning on Page 7.

      For example, in Anaheim there are listings for:

      • Crystal Cold Storage Warehouse, 1506 W. Broadway
      • Packers Cold Storage, Inc., 1226 North Olive Street
      • The Union Ice Company, 117 South Vine Street

      All three facilities are listed as Type PB, which is public cold storage in which the operator is engaged in storing food for other for pay.

      If you are modeling cold storage facilities and warehouses this information can be used to search for photographs, determine building footprints and spur track (if applicable) arrangements from Sanborn maps or just to develop shipper names for operations.

      Here is the link:

      http://usda01.library.cornell.edu/usda/nass/DireRefrWa//1950s/1959/DireRefrWa-01-00-1959.pdf

      Note that this link is TWO LINES LONG so you need to use BOTH LINES to access the link.

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator

    • sp-blackwidow@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2014
        Folks,
          I know this is the Citrus Modeling Group, but I noticed in the Refrigerated Warehouse Directory (1959 and 1947) that "Fish Houses" were listed.

         Anyone have more information on Fish House operations (e.g. types of cars)?  Also, I see "Fish Houses" both in port cities (e.g. Eureka, CA) and inland cities (e.g. Sioux City, IA; Salt Lake City, UT).  One loads the fish, the other receives / stores it?

         Al Daumann