Orange Grove Pipes – What Are These?

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 11:44 AM

    Here are pictures of two pipes located in an orange grove in Riverside.  I have not seen any vertical pipes similar to this in the past.

    So, what are these pipes?  Irrigation pipes? Smudge oil pipes?  Something else?

    Please don’t guess or speculate.  I’d rather deal with facts as the owners of the grove would like a definitive answer.

    Thanks.

    Bob Chaparro

    Moderator

  • Christopher Palermo
    Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2 2:36 PM
      Those are fill pipes with valves for filling a water tank truck in the field. The valve is at man height. A flexible hose, as seen in one view, attaches at the top and its free end is stuffed into the fill location of the tank truck or attached to a fill pipe on the truck. The top of the pipe is up high in the air because the tank trucks are tall. You fill the truck, drive it to a distant or hilly part of the grove, and release the load to flood irrigate by gravity. It is cheaper than trenching the whole grove for pipe, especially in rocky soil or up hills where gravity loss of pressure is an issue. We had the same setup at my olive orchard in Templeton, CA.

      Christopher J. Palermo
      Mountain View, CA

      Sent from my iPad