Oral History Interviews - Resources

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2014

      There is a distinct historical aspect to this group as much of what we share is about equipment, structures and practices that no longer exist.  And some of you, as I, have undertaken to document this history by interviewing people who lived or observed a world that now belongs to the past.

      To assist those who are doing interviews I want to make you aware of several resources.

      The first is the Oral History Association

      ( http://www.oralhistory.org/about/ ).  Paraphrasing their website, the Oral History Association seeks to bring together all persons interested in oral history as a way of collecting and interpreting human memories to foster knowledge.

      The OHA encourages standards of excellence in the collection, preservation, dissemination and uses of oral testimony. To guide and advise those concerned with oral documentation, the OHA has established a set of goals, guidelines, and evaluation standards for oral history interviews

      ( http://www.oralhistory.org/about/principles-and-practices/ ).

      Another resource is the Nebraska State Historical Society's “Capturing the Living Past: An Oral History Primer”

      ( http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/audiovis/oral_history/index.htm ).

      This primer has a dozen sections which include a glossary, planning guide, notes on equipment and media, interview techniques and additional resources.

      A third resource is Judith Moyer’s Step-by-Step Guide to Oral History

      ( http://dohistory.org/on_your_own/toolkit/oralHistory.html ).  This is a step-by-step guide written in a simple and direct style.

      These certainly are not the only resources for conducting interviews but they do cover the bases and take some of the guesswork out of how to conduct and document interviews.

      I want to thank a person whose name I didn’t catch for making me aware of oral history resources during the recent Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society convention in Fresno, CA.

      Good luck to those of you who will be contributing to our historical base.

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator