The Final Stand Of Ice Bunker Reefers In Orange County

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30 8:45 AM

      The short comment below was posted on TRAIN ORDERS on 1/2/12 by “Aronco”, aka “Tioga Pass”.  In concerns Santa Fe’s final ice bunker refrigerator car operations in Orange County. In 1972 PFE ended ice service system-wide but continued ventilator service using ice bunker reefers into 1973.

      Aronco wrote:

      “Ice reefers were still being loaded at Fullerton in the summer of 1973 during a severe car shortage. The ice house at San Bernardino ran out of ice and we had to have "dry" reefers iced by the ice company at Fullerton each day, then we took the empties out to spot for loading. In the summer of ‘73 we were loading about 15 reefers a day in Orange County. My how things have changed!!”

      By way of background, in 1943 Orange County was a peak year for citrus production with forty-five packinghouses in operation. These were served by SFRD and PFE. The number of citrus groves, however, began to decline.

      Thirty years later, in September 1973, the Interstate Commerce Commission permitted discontinuance of bunker icing for refrigerator cars.  Railroads were no longer required to re-ice reefers in transit on their lines. Top-iced service was offered after that date by some railroads that discontinued bunker icing.

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator

    • Ed Workman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30 10:11 AM
      Bob
      Here's a pic I shot in the second week of October- Friday, 1976 --was that the 11th?
      North Platte yard , in a long string of ice reefers being shoved east to the hump by an SD/slug set behind the caboose.
      Another neg shows one UP boxcar second ahead of the caboose, else just icers for a long way, hatches open as shown here.
      I can't see any markouts or stencils that would say these are out of service for any reason, nor do they have that 'stored in a deadline for years' look.
      So what went on between 1973 and 1976  ventilated Idaho potatoes?

      Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30 2:42 PM

        Ed –

        Thanks for catching this.

        My source for the statement “…PFE…continued ventilator service using ice bunker reefers into 1973” was from a timeline of refrigerator car history I consulted and recorded around 2005.

        You comment led me to consult the PFE book which noted that PFE continued “top ice service” with a few designated TIV cars (top ice & ventilator) as late as 1980.

        One of the cars in your photograph is 11778, an R-40-28 reefer.  There were sixty-nine R-40-28 reefers still sporting their original numbers in 1975.  By then PFE was several years into renumbering these car into the 190000 series to reflect their assignment to TIV service.

        Bob Chaparro

        Moderator