Richard Hendrickson Passes

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2014

      I do not post death notices on my Yahoo groups but I will make an exception for noted railroad author and freight car authority Richard Hendrickson.  He died from a fall in late June.

      Richard wrote more than 150 magazine articles about freight cars in addition to numerous monographs and several books.  He was well known in prototype modeling circles as a Santa Fe expert, and he had participated in many prototype modeling clinics.

      He served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War and subsequently earned a Ph.D. in English linguistics. He retired as a professor of English and communications at Sonoma State University in California in 1995 and lived in Ashland, Ore.

      He enjoyed something of a second career as a railroad historian and modeler.  He was the co-author of Santa Fe Refrigerator Cars Ice Bunker Cars 1884-1979 along with Keith Jordan, John B. Moore and the late A. Dean Hale.  This book has been a primary resource for this group.

      Richard promptly answered the many questions I posed to him in the course of my own research and in the same manner was very generous with other modelers and historians.

      His passing leaves a large hole in that will be hard to fill by other historians and modelers.

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator

    • GCRDS
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2014
        Bob,
        Since Richard was such an exceptionally generous and sharing person (having been fortunately to have met him once in person and being one of numerous people he so kindly shared information with), I am pleased that you chose to make the exception and recognize this loss. We were very fortunate and a lot richer to have him as a part of our hobby.
        Take Care,

        Brian R. Termunde
        Midvale, UT

        "My Train of Thought left the station without me!"