Service Order No. 104 – A History

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2014

      In our group’s Files Section is a PDF document titled “Substitution_Arrangement_Refrigerator_Cars_For_Boxcars”.  This document traces the history of Service Order No. 104 and related documents from their wartime inception in 1943 through 1956.  These documents are from American Association of Railroad files in the Northern Pacific Company files of the Minnesota Historical Society.

      The initial document scan is courtesy of James Dick, Northern Pacific Historical Society.  The PDF is courtesy of John Barry, ATSF Railway Historical & Modeling Society.

      If you are modeling these years the document provides a guide for non-perishable PFE and SFRD refrigerator car traffic during those years.

      There is a previous message post on Service Order No. 104 titled “Reefers In Boxcar Service”, dated December 16, 2012.

      Please note that if you a visitor to this website access to the Files Section is limited to members only. Message posts may be accessed by anyone.

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator