Santa Fe Movie With Precooler in 1947

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2014

      The discussion and links below are from the Yahoo Cajon Pass Group.  There are several things to note besides the Precooler.

      At 5:14 in Part 1 the film appears to show whole blocks of ice being dropped into the reefer bunker…a big no no. But a closer look reveals the bunker is almost full and the crewman (a “splitter”) is breaking in place these last ice blocks through the open ice hatch.  This would be a time-saving procedure.

      Also, Ted York commented, “I noticed in the first film they talked about being able to cool the car before spotting for loading.”  This was a rare practice.  See the topic “Precooling Empty Reefers” posted on this group last January 7.

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator

      +++++

      I've been meaning to tell you about a 1947 color movie by the Santa Fe that's on YouTube, thanks to Steve Sandifer.  The movie is called "At Your Service," and it includes three very brief shots of the south end of the San Bernardino Precooler shed.  These are the only views of the south end of the shed that I've ever found.  We can freeze the movie at those points to study the walkway design there, which is what we did when Bill Messecar designed his HO model of the Precooler.

      The movie is posted in two parts.  Part 1 is here, and the Precooler appears at 5:35 into this video:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_whRPy8pl8

      Part 2 is here, and the Precooler appears again at 1:47 and at 8:06 into this video:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3k90Qn0sTA