Packing House loading doors

  • hall3600
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2014
      Would anyone be able to tell me the approximate dimensions of "typical" packing house loading doors?

      I'm building a packing house industry track similar to the photos in SP Coast Line (Thompson/Signor) on pages 58 and 59.  It's set in Salinas, and is an interpretive design based also on the Edison Potato plant.  The era is 1947-1950.

      There would be truck-loading doors on the street side, and dock-access doors on the dock side.  The dock side also has a roller-conveyor system to shuttle crates of product up and down the dock.

      I'm planning for the doors to be standard side-sliding wooden plank doors hung on overhead rollers.

      As an aside, I tried to search this Group's messages for info about doors, but I can't find a way to enter the search engine!

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks

      Pete

    • thecitrusbelt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2014

        You may be able to scale-out a door from these drawings from the Library of Congress of the National Orange Packing House:

        http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca1677.sheet.00005a/resource/

        http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca1677.sheet.00006a/resource/

        You can enlarge the drawing to read the measurements for other packing house features.

        When I measured the loading door openings for the Corona Citrus Association Packing House they were about 8’ x 8’.

        Bob Chaparro

        Moderator

      • hall3600
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2014
          Many thanks, Bob, for this - I'll see what the drawings produce.

          Thanks!
          Pete
        • hall3600
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2014
            Bob, these are fantastic drawings - great detail and many ideas for modeling.

            Again, thanks.
            Pete