A quick question on reefer distribution

  • xenia.elodie
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2014
      Hi!

      I'd have a brief question on reefers and their distribution...

      I've learned about how boxcars got absolutely everywhere and all mixed up, but don't know about how reefers were moving around... my specific question is this: would a packing house in an "isolated" area (in the sense that there is no nearby foreign road - I'm specifically thinking of Carpinteria on the SP's  Ventura sub) see much in the way of reefers that aren't PFE? So by extension what I'm curious about is whether other 'foreign' reefers (SFRD, FGE group or whatever else) would have shown up there, or would it have been primarily if not exclusively PFE?

      Thanks for your attention!

      Xenia

      [From Bruce Morden, who lives in this area and is modeling it: I do not have any real solid evidence, but I have an opinion. I have a few photos that show reefers at the packing houses in Carpinteria. As far as I can tell they are all PFE reefers in the photos. I wish I had documentation like waybills or listings of shipments showing car numbers. I do not.

      Carpinteria was a long way from any other railroad other than the SP. The reefers were taking lemons out of Carpinteria. There is no reason why there would be any other reefers than PFE.

      I have talked to Tony [Thompson] about how reefers move and my recollection is that they would come back west, be cleaned, inspected and repaired if necessary. Then they would be distributed to the packing houses on requests. The Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo packing houses - both citrus and vegetables would have been serviced from the Los Angeles pool.

      As I said these are opinions based on reasonable expectations based on operations in other areas.]

    • Ed Workman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2014
        Lemon season is a long one, while oranges were/are harvested in a relatively short time.
        Thus oranges tended to have peaks when any reefer was valuable.
        The area of citrus cultivation along the coast is/was restricted by topography.
        Thus I too doubt many non-PFE reefers would have been seen on the Coast.  The narrow valley of the Santa Clara has lemons and oranges, and is not on the coast so I'll dodge that bullet. According to one Steinheimer pic [or Beebe's caption], loads moved east to Saugus, then south to LA and east via the Sunset

        The mail train picked up express reefers at Surf and points south, and perhaps more than PFE showed up for that  --- dunno , those cars went on the head end, I was in the rider coach on the rear.

        SFRD and FGEX tended to be captive to Santa Fe and the Hill lines respectively, in the west.
        BUT
        PFE did have lease agreements with eastern RRs. IIRC in the heart of Orange County, on SP,  ART MDT and BAR reefers might be seen in mid-summer. There are old messages on here someplace

        On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM, xenia.elodie@... [citrusmodeling] <citrusmodeling@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

      • cliffprather
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2014

          The SP would try to deliver PFE reefers to the packing house in Carpinteria, however it was possible to have other reefer lines delivered during periods when PFE did not have enough car to meet the demand for cars. The shortage of available PFE cars was usually an annual event and PFE made arrangement to lease cars for other lines such as BAR or other short term arrangements to obtain reefers to meet their needs.

          Don't expect to see Santa Fe (SFRD) reefers spotted at the Carpinteria packing house, since they needed all their cars for their shippers.

          Cliff