Food Machinery Corporation – Fullerton

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2014

    Courtesy of Bruce Hendrick I was alerted to the previous existence of a Food Machinery Corporation (FMC) office and yard in Fullerton.  FMC made packing house equipment so its presence in Fullerton is not surprising.

    This facility, located at 320 Santa Fe Avenue, currently is used by BNSF.  Compare the two photos and you will notice the words "Sales and Service" are still on the door of the building.  According to Bruce, aerial photos from the 1940s appear to show a large back lot with truck equipment.  There still is a large back lot today. FMC had a siding which since has been removed.

    Map Link: http://tinyurl.com/ksflgzc

    The link above is to Google Maps. Windows Live has a better “bird’s eye” view but putting the address in Windows Live takes you a little west of the actual location.

    So, if you do not have room on your layout for the massive FMC Riverside factory complex (at 3080 12th Street in Riverside) this Fullerton facility is a way to establish an FMC presence on your layout without using too much space.

    I have further evidence that FMC had faculties in Chula Vista that were large enough to have made an asbestos watch list.  However, I have no additional information on those facilities.

    Out of our area of geographic interest, FMC had a facility in San Jose. At that location FMC diversified from its John Bean Spray Pump roots and transitioned into advanced food processing equipment for the canning industry.  The John Bean Spray Pump is just one of many companies eventually folded into FMC.  The site now is home to the San Jose Earthquakes professional soccer team.

    Bob Chaparro

    Moderator

  • chris_palermo95125
    Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2014
    Excellent modeling idea, Bob. Attached is a front elevation view that I prepared from Google Street View, which will be useful to prepare scale drawings. GSV does not capture side or end elevations, however. Also attached is a plan view I prepared from Google Maps, showing the removed turnout for the FMC siding. Based on the angled configuration of the fence of the adjacent property, it appears that the spur led directly into FMC's lot.

    Christopher J. Palermo
    Mountain View, CA
  • Lancaster James
    Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2014
      Chris' plan view image shows the former FMC building on the left.  But the building on the right is also of interest.  It is the former Pacific Citrus Products Company, aka Pacific Hawaiian Products Company.  Their best known product was Hawaiian Punch.  For history and photos see http://coastdaylight.com/ph/fullerton/pacific_citrus.html

      Jim Lancaster

      On May 14, 2014, at 9:46 AM, chris_palermo95125@... [citrusmodeling] wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from chris_palermo95125@... [citrusmodeling] included below]

      Excellent modeling idea, Bob. Attached is a front elevation view that I prepared from Google Street View, which will be useful to prepare scale drawings. GSV does not capture side or end elevations, however. Also attached is a plan view I prepared from Google Maps, showing the removed turnout for the FMC siding. Based on the angled configuration of the fence of the adjacent property, it appears that the spur led directly into FMC's lot.

      Christopher J. Palermo
      Mountain View, CA ,___

    • jim_lancaster.geo