Inbound Freight To The Citrus Producing Regions

  • thecitrusbelt
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13, 2014

      I’m attempting to develop a list of common and usual inbound freight that would have been shipped by rail to the citrus producing regions of Southern California in support of citrus production and processing.  I’m not including more generalized freight, such as lumber or non-farm vehicles.

      Obviously, as time went on some of this freight moved to trucks but certainly in the early years (pre-1950s or 1960s) these items would have been delivered by rail.

      So far, I can think of the following items:

      • Box Shook
      • Fertilizer & Farm Chemicals
      • Smudge & Fuel Oil
      • Farm Equipment
      • Orange & Lemon Culls
      • Irrigation Pipe & Supplies

      What else should be on the list?

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator

    • Ed Workman

        Message 3 of 10 , May 13, 2014
          I model a little later but there are some additional items
          that you might want to add to the list.

          By the 1960's citrus was no longer packed in wooden crates
          so the shook would be replaced with fiberboard containers. Shipped flat
          and assembled at the packing house.

          Prior to 60's you could add the labels. Once the cardboard
          boxes started being used the labeling was printed on the
          boxes.

          Also there are other packing house supplies, like the
          packing machinery [upon start up, and then parts and
          supplies], the tissues that the highest quality fruit was
          packed in, the chemicals for waxing the fruit to maintain
          the moisture content and sometimes containing anti-mold
          agents.

          Just some thoughts.

          Bruce Morden
          Carpinteria, CA

          Quoting "thecitrusbelt@... [citrusmodeling]"
          <citrusmodeling@yahoogroups.com>:

          > I?m attempting to develop a list of common and usual inbound freight
          > that would have been shipped by rail to the citrus producing regions
          > of Southern California in support of citrus production and
          > processing. I?m not including more generalized freight, such as
          > lumber or non-farm vehicles.
          >

          > Obviously, as time went on some of this freight moved to trucks but
          > certainly in the early years (pre-1950s or 1960s) these items would
          > have been delivered by rail.
          >

          > So far, I can think of the following items:
          >
          > Box Shook
          > Fertilizer & Farm Chemicals
          > Smudge & Fuel Oil
          > Farm Equipment
          > Orange & Lemon Culls
          > Irrigation Pipe & Supplies
          >

          > What else should be on the list?
          >

          > Bob Chaparro
          >
          > Moderator

        • Rick Watson
          Message 4 of 10 , May 13, 2014
            Cardboard / paper for boxes / crates
            Other boxing supplies - nails, staples, glue, equipment
            Paper for labels to local printer and printing supplies
            Cooling equipment

            [Boxing supplies and cooling equipment...good calls. The labels were printed in Los Angeles from the earliest times, for the most part.  These probably were delivered by REA or LCL boxcars and later by truck. By the time cardboard boxes were used (mid-1950s) the boxes were manufactured in local plants and shipped by truck.  -Moderator]

            --
            Rick Watson
            Modeling the Southern Pacific Los Angeles Division
            Message 5 of 10 , May 13, 2014
              How about sugar?  Canneries or places making jams would have used boxcar loads of sugar, as might frozen orange juice plants.  (Ex: Calfornia Cooperative Canneries in Hemet in the 1920's).

              Many of the citrus areas also produced other sorts of fruit.  Sunsweet (California Prune and Apricot Growers) had branches in Southern California in the 1920's including at Hemet and Santa Paula.  I don't know if they were still active by the 1950's.

              Robert
            • Keith Jordan
              Message 6 of 10 , May 13, 2014
                Bob and Others,

                I can think of severa; items:

                Labels (such as from lithographers Schmidt and Western in San Francisco and LA)
                Wrapping tissue (Fernstrom in Pomona)
                Orchard heaters (Scheu and National in Pomona and Riverside)
                Packing house equipment (FMC in Riverside)
                Orchard equipment (ladders, bags, field boxes, clippers, etc.)
                Nursery stock (for new trees)

                Keith Jordan

                On May 13, 2014, at 3:53 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [citrusmodeling] wrote:

                I’m attempting to develop a list of common and usual inbound freight that would have been shipped by rail to the citrus producing regions of Southern California in support of citrus production and processing.  I’m not including more generalized freight, such as lumber or non-farm vehicles.

                Obviously, as time went on some of this freight moved to trucks but certainly in the early years (pre-1950s or 1960s) these items would have been delivered by rail.

                So far, I can think of the following items:

                • Box Shook
                • Fertilizer & Farm Chemicals
                • Smudge & Fuel Oil
                • Farm Equipment
                • Orange & Lemon Culls
                • Irrigation Pipe & Supplies

                What else should be on the list?

                Bob Chaparro

                Moderator

              • Alain KAP, MMR
                Message 7 of 10 , May 14, 2014
                Bob,

                The NMRA OPSig has a list called Industries West in their files. I also
                picked up a Citrus Suppliers List at one Santa Fe convention and I
                copied the pages of the ATSF Shippers Guide concerning California. This
                guide shows all commodities by type and state that travelled the Santa
                Fe rails in some way. I just wanted to know what other interesting loads
                there would be besides smudge oil, box shook and fertilizer.

                I have compiled online and offline shippers and consignees into an exell
                sheet that I use to make up waybills and car cards. I try to attach it
                here or if that fails I upload it to the files section of the group.
                There's so many diverse industries you can use to make your operating
                session more interesting and best of all, you have real life company
                names you would never think of.

                Have fun.

                --
                Alain KAP, MMR
                D-54439 SAARBURG
                Message 8 of 10 , May 18, 2014
                  Alain, the ATSF shippers guide you mentioned, what year is it dated.

                    Message 10 of 10 , May 21, 2014
                      Hi Amro,

                      I don't know from what year it is. The front page was a bit torn. In fact I copied only the pages with California shippers and probably omitted the ones with the date. It's been a while and I even don't know where I've got it from.

                      Regards

                      Alain Kap, MMR