5694Re: Color of oil tanks

  • Philip Lebow
    Jul 3, 2014
      Gents,

      As my father was in the oil business in the 40's and 50's, I got to see
      a lot of oil tanks.

      Most were black, weathered down to flat black, with a definite metallic sheen.
      Might have been the rust or oxide primers beginning to bleed through.
      Rust collected on the joints where the sections bolted together, and where the flanges and unplated
      bolts collected moisture.

      Large tank farms such as the Mobil storage facility in SanPedro, were originally silver
      and later painted white.

      The SP had some massive bunker fuel oil tanks near downtown LA and they were flat black.
      They were weathered down some when I saw them, and were pretty grayed out in spots
      especially on the south and west sides. The SP logos were all silver and stood out on the
      tanks.

      Smaller tanks, especially station storage tanks could be any color, although white was popular.
      Small tanks in the central valley in California were usually silver or white. Crude oil tanks from
      wells were always black due to spillage common in those days.

      I don't know if any of this is relevant, to the discussion, but it is all from direct observation.

      Phil L
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic