5478SFRD 37307 (Rr-30)

  • thecitrusbelt
    Feb 24, 2014

      Here is a link to an image from the University of Chicago’s Photographic Archive.  The subject is a C&NW switcher taken in 1954, however, lurking in the background is SFRD 37307 (if I’m reading the number correctly).

      http://photoarchive.lib.uchicago.edu/db.xqy?one=apf2-09019.xml

      Click on the image to enlarge it and click again to enlarge it more.

      You would never find this reefer using search terms such as “reefer”, “SFRD” or “Santa Fe”.  This was an accidental find, which is so often the case for the images I usually find.

      SFRD 37307 was a Class Rr-30 fifty-foot ice bunker reefer, one of 100 (37290-37389) ordered by the railroad.  The last twenty-five (37365-37389) had Preco fans installed.

      These reefers were not intended for fresh citrus shipments so much as they were used for frozen juice, flowers, wine and fish.  These were not “super-insulated” cars and were not primarily in frozen food service. Santa Fe had other classes of fifty-foot ice bunker reefers that were constructed as “super-insulated” and these were the main frozen food cars.

      The prototype is the same car Athearn brought out in HO and N scale.  These models currently are not in production but usually can be found at swap meets.

      Here is a link to an older article on the HO scale version of Class Rr-30 reefers from the Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society:

      http://www.atsfrr.com/Reviews/HO/Freight/AthReef/Index.htm

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator