5475Athearn Reefer With Operating Doors

  • thecitrusbelt
    Feb 20, 2014

      Here is a trip down memory lane.  This is a link to a Don Dellmann photo of an HO scale Athearn reefer from the mid- to late-1950s.  What made this car special were the operating doors.  The normal Athearn reefer of that time through the end of the blue box kit era had solid sides.  The current R-T-R car is pretty much the same, although it has better paint, printing and trucks.

      Athearn molded-on dreadful, oversized “claw hinges” to allow the doors to swing out.  But at the time this was state-of-the-art and I was happy to have the kit available.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/don_dellmann/1980029395/sizes/o/in/photostream/

      I remember that my scant modeling skills and lack of experience and hobby tools led me to break at least one hinge on every one of the three or four of these kits I assembled.  Sadly, all the cars were sold when I was out of the hobby in my junior and senior high school years.

      Here are previous messages about these cars:

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator