Re: Welcome new members

  • Jay Stratton
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5 5:23 PM

      > Welcome new members! I am a Muslim American, circumcised at birth by
      > the will of Allah. This was His sign to me to become a Muslim. If you
      > just joined this group, then maybe you have the same question that I
      > once had. Were you circumcised without any reason, like already being
      > a Muslim? You are probably wondering why you received the sign of
      > circumcision. Well, welcome to this group! Here you can discover the
      > true reason for your circumcision from Allah, the Merciful.

      "In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful!"

      That invocation itself is a good argument not to circumcise: what could be less compassionate or merciful than to hold a boy down and cut off his most intimate part?

      Muslims are the largest single group in the world who circumcise boys. An Intactivist website would be lacking if it said nothing against this variety of the practice. Ideally, opposition to Islamic circumcison must begin within Islam itself. The problem is where to start and how to proceed, when it is so entrenched, and the Islamic Intactivist movement is so tiny.

      The Qur'an does not mention circumcision.

      The main reason given for Islamic circumcision is (ritual) cleanliness. Against this it is hard to argue, except to point out that there is no more reason for the male genitalia to be ritually unclean than the female.

      What has Islam got to say on female genital mutilation?

      As far as female genital mutilation is concerned in Islam, it is permissible and not obligatory. Even male circumcision is not compulsory but a Sunnah. If there is any harm in female circumcision then it can even be banned in the sense that it has been proven by scientific and medical Islamic scholars that the way it is done is harmful to the health of the girl child.

      Imam Baba Leigh On Child Rights in Islam
      The Independent (Banjul, Gambia) INTERVIEW
      August 3, 2001

      There is ample evidence on other pages that male circumcision itself (not just "the way it is done") is harmful to the health of the male child. It is painful, risky, often deforming, sexually diminishing and confers no health benefits.

      Another reason given is "to be like Muhammad, who was 'born circumcised'". This can easily be refuted: if the Prophet was born without a foreskin (aposthetic), he was not circumcised, and that is the way to be like him.

      Like Judaism, Islam forbids disfiguring the body:

      "A body - be it alive or dead - should be respected. It cannot be disfigured at any stage," the Jamiatul Ulama, a council of Muslim theologians in Durban, said on Monday ... the Ulama's Ahmed Kathrada said: "We respect the human body in any form... our primary concern is that we cannot reduce it to disfigurement whether living or dead...".

      "Durban dithers over frozen corpse disposal"
      Independent On Line
      (South Africa)
      October 1, 2002

      It is hard to reconcile this respect with deliberately cutting any part off a baby's genitals.

    • timderinger_33
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
        --- In circumcised_became_muslim@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Stratton"
        <jaystrat@...> :

        > "In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful!"
        >
        > That invocation itself is a good argument not to circumcise: what
        could be less compassionate or merciful than to hold a boy down and
        cut off his most intimate part?

        Modern, new-age speculation about His nature. Circumcision is
        required in Islam, and this must be accepted, as it comes from Him,
        our Maker. Sorry, no choice here. If you're not interesting in
        conveting, as seems evident from your comments, then you should join
        another group.

        > Muslims are the largest single group in the world
        <http://www.circumstitions.com/Maps.html> who circumcise boys.

        Actually, Muslims do not discriminate. They circumcise both boys and
        girls, celebrating the event as a gift from Allah. I wish to convert
        to Islam, and am studying Islam. I have attended a course on Hadith,
        and circumcision is required for both genders. Sexual equality.

        > An Intactivist website would be lacking if it said nothing against
        this variety of the practice. Ideally, opposition to Islamic
        circumcison must begin within Islam itself. The problem is where to
        start and how to proceed, when it is so entrenched, and the Islamic
        Intactivist movement
        <http://www.circumstitions.com/Links.html#islam> is so tiny.

        It's non-existent, except among some westernized, mostly non-
        practicing Muslims. The reason is that circumcision is absolutely
        required in Islam. No point in opposing it, as it is endorsed by our
        Maker, as communicated by his prophet in the Hadith. Arguing with
        that is just insulting the Islamic religion.

        > The Qur'an does not mention circumcision.

        Of course not. It doen't have to. Allah was obviously not arguing
        with modern, anti-circ activists. Circumcision was inherited from
        Ibrahim, but not in the manner portrayed by Jews, as Muslims do not
        accept that the Jewish tradition is unchanged. Muslims are not Jews.
        Also, the fact that Arabs were circumcised before Islam is not an
        argument against it, as the prophet states that it is required in
        the Hadith, and for both sexes. No gender bias. However, he did not
        require full infibulation, but showed how to circumcise a woman, as
        a man. This is Sunnah circumcision: removal of the foreskin of both
        sexes. No more is required.

        > The main reason given for Islamic circumcision is (ritual)
        cleanliness. Against this it is hard to argue, except to point out
        that there is no more reason for the male genitalia to be ritually
        unclean than the female.

        Right. So the foreskin has to go for both sexes. No discrimination.
        You may not like Islam, and that is your right, but you should at
        least admit that it is a religion of equality on this point. Think
        about it.

        > What has Islam got to say on female genital mutilation?

        Mutilation is an opinion, here totoally inexact as it does not
        specify any specific operation, thus sounding like propaganda.

        > As far as female genital mutilation is concerned in Islam, it is
        permissible and not obligatory.

        It is obligatory per the Habith, not only permissable.

        > Even male circumcision is not compulsory but a Sunnah.

        Required, as female circumcision.

        > If there is any harm in female circumcision then it can
        even be banned in the sense that it has been proven by scientific and
        medical Islamic scholars that the way it is done is harmful to the
        health of the girl child.

        Nonsense. No such scholars, at least not Islamic ones. Muslims do
        occasionally debate whether girls should receive more that just
        circumcision (removal of the foreskin of the clitoris), and some do
        practice or advocate further removal, while others do not. Trying to
        force your own western, non-Islamic views into that private dialogue
        will just lead to more Muslims removing more than the foreskin. It's
        just not a debate non-Muslims are to participate in, just as Muslims
        do not debate baptism techniques, styles, or theories. Look, this
        group is obviously for Americans, and others, who are considering
        becoming Muslims, or who have do so. If this does not include you,
        then find another group, at least until you come around to Islam, if
        you ever do.

        Tim
      • muslim_sister2004
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
          Dear friend in islam

          I am a recently converted girl
          to islam . I am not circumcised.
          can you please explain how girls
          are circumcised ?

          muslim sister

          muslim_sister2004@...

          --- In circumcised_became_muslim@yahoogroups.com, "timderinger_33"
          <timderinger_33@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > health of the girl child.
          >
          > Nonsense. No such scholars, at least not Islamic ones. Muslims do
          > occasionally debate whether girls should receive more that just
          > circumcision (removal of the foreskin of the clitoris), and some do
          > practice or advocate further removal, while others do not. Trying
          > force your own western, non-Islamic views into that private
          dialogue
          > will just lead to more Muslims removing more than the foreskin.
          It's
          > just not a debate non-Muslims are to participate in, just as
          Muslims
          > do not debate baptism techniques, styles, or theories. Look, this
          > group is obviously for Americans, and others, who are considering
          > becoming Muslims, or who have do so. If this does not include you,
          > then find another group, at least until you come around to Islam,

        • Ron Miller
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
            > Also, the fact that Arabs were circumcised before Islam is not an
            > argument against it, as the prophet states that it is required in
            > the Hadith, and for both sexes. No gender bias. However, he did not
            > require full infibulation, but showed how to circumcise a woman, as
            > a man. This is Sunnah circumcision: removal of the foreskin of both
            > sexes. No more is required.

            Gee, where in the Koran do you find this "commandment"?

            When one looks for it in the Koran, he finds just the opposite...

            Some interesting quotes from the Koran:

            He created everything in exact measure; He precisely designed
            everything (25:2)

            He designed you, and designed you well. (40:64)

            He created the heavens and the earth for a specific purpose, designed
            you and perfected your design. (64:3)

            He created man in the best design.(95:4)

            [Satan said:] " I will mislead them, I will entice them, I will
            command them to mark the ears of livestock, and I will command them
            to distort the creation of GOD."

            Anyone who accepts the devil as a lord, instead of GOD, has incurred
            a profound loss. (4:119)

            We did not leave anything out of this book. (6:38)

            The word of your lord is complete, in truth and justice. Nothing
            shall abrogate His words. He is the Hearer, the Omniscient. (6:115)

            Say, "Did you note how GOD sends down to you all kinds of provisions,
            then you render some of them unlawful, and some lawful? Say, Did God
            give you permisssion to do this? Or, do you fabricate lies and
            attribute them to God?" (10:59)

            **********************************

            Also, Muslim organizations such as The International Community of
            Submitters and the devout Muslim founders of Moslem.org and Quran.org
            have taken a firm stand against the unauthenic and unreliable Sunnah
            and against circumcision, proclaiming:

            To all true scholars of Qur'an the answer is clear. GOD with his
            infinite grace did not and would not condone such cruel ritual. This
            act is not found anywhere in the Qur'an. it is only in such man-made
            innovations such as "Hadith and Sunnah" that one can find such cruel
            laws and rituals. it is the authors of these blasphemies that are
            responsible for these centuries-old crimes done in the name of GOD.
            All throughout history, laws and rituals have been conjured up and
            put into place in male dominated societies only to subjugate women,
            children, and the weak.

            Yuksel, Edip. Circumcision. 2001.
              Dear Muslim sister, girls are circumcised by removing the foreskin of
              the clitoris, which is also called the hood. It is the fold of skin
              covering the clitoris (clitoral glans). After circumcision, the
              clitoris remains exposed, which promotes cleanliness and better sex.
              This is sunnah circumcision, which is the same for man and woman.

              Kind regards,
              Davoud.

              --- In circumcised_became_muslim@yahoogroups.com, "muslim_sister2004"
              <muslim_sister2004@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > occasionally debate whether girls should receive more that just
              > > circumcision (removal of the foreskin of the clitoris), and some
              do
              > > practice or advocate further removal, while others do not. Trying
              > > force your own western, non-Islamic views into that private
              > dialogue
              > > will just lead to more Muslims removing more than the foreskin.
              > It's
              > > just not a debate non-Muslims are to participate in, just as
              > Muslims
              > > do not debate baptism techniques, styles, or theories. Look, this
              > > group is obviously for Americans, and others, who are considering
              > > becoming Muslims, or who have do so. If this does not include
              you,
              > > then find another group, at least until you come around to Islam,

            • Ron Miller
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007

                <timderinger_33@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > health of the girl child.
                >
                > Nonsense. No such scholars, at least not Islamic ones. Muslims do
                > occasionally debate whether girls should receive more that just
                > circumcision (removal of the foreskin of the clitoris), and some do
                > practice or advocate further removal, while others do not. Trying
                > force your own western, non-Islamic views into that private
                dialogue
                > will just lead to more Muslims removing more than the foreskin.
                It's
                > just not a debate non-Muslims are to participate in, just as
                Muslims
                > do not debate baptism techniques, styles, or theories. Look, this
                > group is obviously for Americans, and others, who are considering
                > becoming Muslims, or who have do so. If this does not include you,
                > then find another group, at least until you come around to Islam,

              • Davoud Jenkins