St. Joachina, May 22

  • Lonnie Small
    Message 1 of 11 , May 19, 2013

      May 22

      St. Joachina de Vedruna de Mas, Religious

      Optional Memorial

      from the Common of Holy Women

      Joachina was born in Barcelona in 1783.  She married Theodore de Mas in 1799 and bore him nine children before being widowed in 1816.  Then in 1826 she was prompted by God's Spirit to found the Congregation of Carmelite Sisters of Charity, which spread throughout Catalonia, establishing houses for the care of the sick and the education of children, especially the poor.  She was greatly drawn to contemplating the mystery of the Holy Trinity.  Her spiritual life was marked by prayer, mortification, detachment, humility and love.  She died at Vich in 1854.

      Office of Readings

      Second Reading

      From the Letters of St. Joachina

      If only we were all on fire with love for God!  If we were, we should preach love, proclaim love, and yet more love, until we had set the whole world on fire.  We must have great desires:  then God will give us whatever is best for us.

      We must be careful to free our hearts from everything that might get in the way of the pure love of our beloved Jesus.  He is love itself, and wants to give Himself to us through love.  Jesus is calling us all the time--how long are we going to remain deaf to His voice?  No, let us keep our hearts ready, our wills completely for Jesus, our faculties and our senses for our Lord.

      There must be no undue attachment in our hearts for created things:  they must burn with love alone, love ever more fervent; for love never says 'enough,' never rests until it is completely on fire.  When our hearts are

      com- pletely on fire with pure love for Jesus, everything that might hinder love from taking complete possession will be cast out.

      We must not give in to weariness:  we must spend every minute in loving God.

      God alone, the maker of heaven and earth, must be our rest and our consolation.  The love of God is the only thing we can possess for ever:

      everything else will pass away.

      Love, love, and yet more love--love that is never satisfied!  The more we love God, the more we shall long to love Him.  And when we have Jesus in our hearts, we shall have everything else in Him and with Him.

      Responsory

      R/.  Remain in my love.  * Whoever lives in love, lives in God, and God in him (alleluia).

      V/.  Follow the way of love, as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us.

      * Whoever lives in love, lives in God, and God in him (alleluia).

      Canticle of Zechariah

      By this all will know that you are my disciples:  that you

                for one another (alleluia).

      Prayer

      Lord God,

      You gave St. Joachina de Vedruna to Your Chruch for the Christian education of youth and the care of the sick.

      May we follow her example,

      and lovingly devote our lives

      to serving You in our brother and sisters.

      Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

      Canticle of Mary

      Whatsoever you do for one of the least of my brethren, you do for me, says the Lord (alleluia).

      *************

      for Mass

      Entance Antiphon

      Honor the woman who fears the Lord.  Her children will bless her. (Alleluia)

      Prayer

      (see above)

      Prayer over the Gifts

      Father,

      accept these gifts.

      May we who share these mysteries

      follow St. Joachina de Vedruna

      in loving You above all things

      and others for Your sake.

      We ask this through Christ our Lord.

      Communion Antiphon

      No one has greater love, says the Lord, than the one who lays down his life for his friends. (Alleluia)

      Prayer after Communion

      Lord,

      may Your grace be increased in us

      through the holy gifts we have received.

      May we imitate St. Joachina de Vedruna

      in word and deed

      bringing light and love to all those we encounter.

      Grant this through Christ our Lord.

      First Reading

      John 3:14-18

      And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life."  For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

      For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.

      He who believes in him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

      Responsorial Psalm

      R/. The children of the upright are blessed.

      Happy the man who fears the Lord,

      who takes delight in all His commands.

      His sons will be powerful on earth;

      the children of the upright are blessed.  R/.

      Riches and wealth are in His house;

      His justice stands firm for ever.

      He is a light in the darkness for the upright; He is generous, merciful and just.  R/.

      The good man takes pity and lends,

      he conducts his affairs with honor.

      The just man will never waver:

      he will be remembered for ever.

      He has no fear of evil news.  R/.

      With a firm heart he trusts in the Lord; with a steadfast heart he will not fear; He will see the downfall of his foes.  R/.

      Open-handed he gives to the poor;

      his justice stands firm for ever.

      His head will be raised in glory.  R/.

      Gospel

      Mark 9: 34-37

      But they were silent; for on the way they had discussed with one another who was the greatest.

      And he sat down and called the twelve; and he said to them, "If any one would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all."  And he took a child, and put him in the midst of them; and taking him in his arms, he said to them,  "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me."

    • Lonnie Small